£2,000 bmw diesel scrappage scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They will obviously trade most of the cars on so not really a scrappage scheme at all!

Swappage Scheme

I'm guessing this will be more about games such as realigning the 'retailer contributions' on PCPs than actual discounts.

I'd hazard that quite a few owners of qualifying vehicles aren't in the financial position to buy a new BMW, discount or not.

They're running old diesels because that's what they can afford.

MB have introduced the same today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eco-tosh

It's realigning existing discounts and incentives under an Eco-banner.

OK, it "may" be a slightly better deal for some, but that'll be more than offset by the naive Granny trading her ancient 2008 motor for a "trade price" which is worse than she could have achieved elsewhere.

Car sales is all about marginal sales over marginal production cost. Once a manufacturer has tooled up, the cost of an extra car ain't that much, so the discounting begins.

Marketing at its most cynical IMHO. Will make SFA difference from an emissions reduction viewpoint.

It's realigning existing discounts and incentives under an Eco-banner.

OK, it "may" be a slightly better deal for some, but that'll be more than offset by the naive Granny trading her ancient 2008 motor for a "trade price" which is worse than she could have achieved elsewhere.

Car sales is all about marginal sales over marginal production cost. Once a manufacturer has tooled up, the cost of an extra car ain't that much, so the discounting begins.

On the MB front, it's not 'slightly better'

You get £2,000 scrappage, plus the cap average price of your car, plus any current campaign, plus whatever margin the dealer gives away and for some, an extra £2,000-3,500 loyalty bonus MB sent to existing customers a few weeks back. It's huge. I've honestly not seen anything like it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDE Conformity factor

I would suggest this may also be playing a part:-Real Driving Emissions (RDE) test in place since 1st September 2017

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - EU action to curb air pollution by cars: Questions and Answers

What is the conformity factor in the Real Driving Emissions (RDE) test procedure?

Contrary to a pre-defined laboratory test cycle, the intrinsic characteristics of the PEMS measurement equipment in RDE tests leads to a higher variation and wider range of the quantitative emission results of different RDE trips. If the technical and statistical uncertainties of RDE measurements are not duly taken into account, it might happen that vehicles that actually are compliant could fail an individual RDE test or vehicles that actually are non-compliant could pass the test.

The concept of Conformity Factor (CF) helps overcome this problem. With a conformity factor, the focus is put on the vehicle's average compliance with emission limits. For example, regulatory emission limits may be exceeded when driving up a steep hill, which then must be compensated by emissions below the regulatory emission limits under different conditions, such as driving moderately in the city, so that the average emissions, when weighing these conditions according to their statistical occurrence, are not above the limits.

Given the novelty of Real Driving Emissions test measurements and the technical limits to improve the real world emission performance of currently produced diesel cars in the short-term, Member States agreed in October 2015 on a phasing-in period for reducing the divergence between the regulatory limit measured in laboratory conditions and the values of the Real Driving Emissions procedure. The agreement foresees a two-step approach:

In the first phase, to allow adapting to the new requirements, manufacturers will have to bring down the discrepancy to a conformity factor of maximum 2.1 (i.e. 168mg/km NOx instead of 80mg/km) for new models by September 2017 (for all new vehicles by September 2019);
In the second phase, this discrepancy will be brought further down to a factor of 1.5 (i.e. 120mg/km NOx instead of 80mg/km), taking account of technical margins of error, by January 2020 for all new models (by January 2021 for all new vehicles). To take account of future improvements of the measuring technology, this factor will be subject to annual reviews starting in 2017 and as the technology improves, the conformity factor will be reduced further with the aim of bringing the conformity factor down to 1 as soon as possible and at the latest by 2023. Car manufacturers should thus already start designing vehicles for compliance with a conformity factor close to 1 (=80mg/km NOx).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom