03 clk 500 convertible - what were the options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
Spotted one very close to me, sensible miles/price.
I've brought the vin spec list up but on this model I don't know what were options and what weren't.
It doesn't appear to have much, not even heated seats. Surely they weren't an option on the avantgarde spec?
Should it have Comand? Ad says so but its not the same HU as my e55. Do all comands look the same?
Anyone shed some light on the options? I'm thinking keyless entry, massage seats, heated rear seat maybe?
Thanks

Last edited:
I can probably find a list of what were the options on my (facelift) CLK, but from memory:
  1. AMG Sports kit - trim, suspension, spoiler, etc
  2. Parktronic
  3. Distronic
  4. Linguatronic (I assume)
  5. COMAND - Audio 20 by default?
  6. Thermotronic (instead of thermomatric)?
  7. Heated and/or cooled seats.
  8. Rear Blind
  9. Sunroof (on the coupe)
I'm not sure if the memory seats are standard (perhaps for a given trim level), nor whether leather was standard either. - I don't think I've seen heated rear seats in a CLK, nor massage seats.

I'm sure I've got the brochure somewhere, but it's not to-hand.

Thanks PB. I'm not sure what the HU is. It doesn't look like COMAND or audio 20. It has nav. I'm only familiar with the e class comand I have currently.
Thermotronic is climate control? It appears to have 4 way options on this. A bit more digging shows I can't see the bank of switches above the screen so am missing some info. This is it
Mercedes-Benz CLK 5.0 CLK500 Avantgarde 2dr

seems a good price but swmbo isn't keen which is odd because she loves the e55. Might be that this would be 6 cars for 2 of us....
I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
Looks like a pre-facelift with a COMAND 2.0, think this has CD based nav.

Seems a pretty clean car for the money, if a tad lacking in some creature comforts.

Last edited:
They might have changed it post-facelift; that's not the HU or climate control that I've got.

According to my brochure (which is admittedly for facelift models), standard fitment was:
  • 7G-Tronic with tripfunction and speedtronic
  • 17" alloys on 320, 350 and 500
  • 18" wheels with sportline option
  • airbags etc
  • Climate control with dust filter
  • door mirrors - adjustable, folding and heated (which confirms a query I had the other day).
  • ESP and ASR
  • Front fog lamps and single rear fog lamp.
  • Headlamp assist
  • Isofix mounting points
  • leather-trimmed steering wheel
  • Audio 20 with CD Player and 6 speakers
  • Neck-Pro
  • Outside temperature gauge
  • Speed sensitive steering (on 320, 350, and 500)
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • Remote boot release
  • Seat occupancy sensors (when they're working!)
  • Manually adjustable steering column.
  • Suspension - direct control (I don't know what this is)
  • Tyre pressure los warning.

Options were:
  • Rear side airbags
  • Bi-Xenon headlamps
  • CD-Changer (6 disc)
  • COMAND
  • Comfort front seats including heating and ventilation
  • Distronic
  • Sunroof
  • Rear Blind
  • Memory seat (standard on 350 and 500)
  • HK LOGIC-7 surround sound
  • Heated front seats
  • keyless go
  • Leather upholstery (standard on 500 and 63)
  • Linguatronic
  • Luxury climate control (standard on 500 and 63)
  • Audio 50 with CD drive and Sat Nav
  • Multi-contour seats (standard on sportline)
  • Parktronic
  • Mobile phone pre-installation
  • Ski bag option
  • Sports package (for Avante trim)
  • Sports suspension
  • TV Tuner
  • Wind deflector (Cab only)
  • Wood and leather steering wheel
  • Wood and leather gearstick.

Think the post facelift COMAND option was the NTG2 version.

Memory seat option includes electric steering column adjustment.

PS What's Headlamp Assist?

Last edited:
The car in the link is pre-facelift and has COMAND (2.0). The graphics may look old but you can still buy updated navigation maps on CD-ROM.

It looks like a lot of car for the money but low mileage and part service history makes my spide sense tingle. Depends how much is unaccounted for.

Thanks all. I'll see about a viewing.

Not sure what the seller means by "AMG spec upgrade"; the wheels are AMG but I'd hazard a guess they were fitted long after it left the factory.

And as keen as the price seems to be, the fact they haven't even bothered to clean the carpets would suggest to me that if they couldn't be ****d to spend 30 minutes hoovering then what else couldn't they be ****d to do?

And remember that, in the long run, there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes...

You're a hard man to please Lee, but yes the bit of carpet we can see is a bit dirty. Rest assured STAR toting assistance had been sought!

The AMG 18" wheels are on its datacard, so they might well be oe.

I would think its worth a look, M113 and 722.6 are usually pretty reliable, unlike say, M272 and early 7Gs. I agree dirty carpets on for sale photos might well show a lack of necessary attention to other matters. I notice advert states part service history - not good. I would hazard a guess that the roof operation and mechanism would be worth a very thorough check.

Last edited:
Hmm

Very nice car

Got the BOSE sound system which is an expensive option... (see speaker in between the 2 rear seats)

It has the pre-facelift dashboard which isn't too nice but you can always 'face-lift' it, this was done to my car... don't know where your based but Killerhertz did mine :) great guy!

The parts are easy to find, I payed £66 For the top switches and the climate control and £25 for the centre cage that holds everything together. You can get a second hand newer facelift style NTG2 comand from Dronsfields for £100 if your lucky :) I went for aftermarket however but you'd need to get the 'bose converter box' so your aftermarket unit can talk to the bose amp it's not too expensive tho I think around £60?

Although that dash really isn't THAT bad for a while :) nice care none the less

Also someone's retro-fitted the facelift grill to that car.. or it's been in a light head on collision and repaired

Make sure you test out the climate control extensively on all zones etc, these cars are famous for the HVAC flaps becoming stripped, , therefore making a clicking noise on startup and causing you to go mad :D

Check seat adjustment works properly as on mine headrests have messed up :) and require a Star normalisation program to be run

They EAT through the rear tyres so make sure there's some decent meat left on em, I payed £320 for 2 continentals to be put on (was in Portsmouth and no shop had any michelins in stock :( )

upgrades i can see from the pics are
two tone leather
bose surround
digital climate control
front and rear parking sensors
bi xenon head lights
navigation system
After market AMG alloys
Face lift front grille

Last edited:
upgrades on my pre face lift 240 avantgarde are
parking sensors
digital climate control
auto box (manual available on 200 and 240s but standard on 320s and above)
tints
storage pack
sound system
cd changer
leather
rear airbags
electric driver and passenger seats
chilled storage in arm rest
heated front seats (no rear heated seat options on the clk)

Im not sure if auto lights, auto wipers, electronic boot release, cruise control are standard or not.

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess that the 18" wheels came with the sports pack. - Wheels, suspension, aluminium trim, exhaust and boot-lid spoiler IIRC.

I'd hazard a guess that the 18" wheels came with the sports pack. - Wheels, suspension, aluminium trim, exhaust and boot-lid spoiler IIRC.

I think there was only one upgrade choice-the amg pack which comes with the body kit. On the CLK avantgarde the aluminum trim is standard with slightly stiffer suspension than on the elegance which come with wood trim as standard.

You're a hard man to please Lee

My only concern is you in all this David, the W209 CLK is so pretty that once you're viewing one it's easy to gloss over its foibles, so stay alert my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom