'03 W211 E270 CDI 'Judder' gearbox advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyKO

Car
W211 E270 CDI
Hi guys,

(Please excuse my 'lack' of technical explanation, I'm no technician)

Right, I've started to notice upon driving my 270 when warmed up, especially up inclines, the car starts to 'judder'/struggle upon acceleration, easing off seems to cure it slightly.

It is worse when box set on the 'S' mode, not as bad when in 'C' mode.

In standard mode it's around 2.5-3k rpm - in comfort seems to be around 1-2k rpm when the judder starts to kick in.

When it starts to show the above symptoms I have noticed what seems to be a whining/grumble noise, assuming it's coming from the gearbox???

A few days ago, the car went into limp mode twice, showed ABS fail and something else I can't remember, but tht has suddenly stopped happening and I've driven a good couple of hundred miles since then.

Now, I've been searching the interweb for hours 'trying' to see if I can find the same sort of symptoms and have unearthed a whole load of things to be honest, everything from MAF to MAP sensors to Torque Convertors to gearbox issues..Valeo rad's failing etc etc etc etc etc......

I'd like your thoughts and opinions please guys.

I'd really appreciate it as I'm totally new to Merc's and I'd really like to get it sorted out as it's slightly worrying and annoying me.

I was thinking of a gearbox/TC drain and refill but what do you think??

Sorry for the long winded post!

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Could be Tc vibs, maybe down to glycol contamination as its a early car Search valeo behr radiators on here.

Typical symptoms of TC glycol contamination are felt at steady speed of about 30mph.
Feathering the throttle, just holding enough revs to keep the speed constant.
The whole car shakes just like travelling on cobble stones and there is a rumbling noise.

A drain and refill of the auto box may improve this but the TC clutch plates are already damaged.
The repair will need gearbox out so you may waste the cost of changing the oil if you try that first.
The TC will need to be refurbished and a new radiator (if not already changed).
Cost of work is about £1000 plus a new radiator (I changed my own rad when this happened).

Worth doing if you intend to keep the car for any length of time.

Thanks guys for the advice, yeah, it's just like driving over cobble stones!

OK, I'll venture out into the dark to see what rad is fitted.

Does the gearbox usually sustain damage to? or just the TC?

Thanks again fellas :thumb:

The gearbox will need re-building if its contaminated. Have a look in teh coolant resevoir for any oil too. We have seen the gearboxes rust inside!

The gearbox will need re-building if its contaminated. Have a look in teh coolant resevoir for any oil too. We have seen the gearboxes rust inside!

Thanks buddy, I'll have a look when I get 5 minutes to myself, which isn't often!

Is it cheaper to get a recon box?

Also, I'll probably be looking for someone to carry this out for me in the not to distant future if you have any suggestions? :D

Does anyone on here recommend any Indies that can carry out this type of work should I need a GB and TC swap/rebuild please guys?

I don't mind the travel.

Thanks! :thumb:

Torque converter lock-up clutch slipping. I've posted on this before with my own car. Change the oil & filter if it hasn't been done and stick some BG ATC transmission conditioner in it or Dr. Tranny. Alternatively find a BG rep. In your area with a cleaning machine and let him do it. Worked a treat on my car and mine was so bad the heat shields were vibrating!

Torque converter lock-up clutch slipping. I've posted on this before with my own car. Change the oil & filter if it hasn't been done and stick some BG ATC transmission conditioner in it or Dr. Tranny. Alternatively find a BG rep. In your area with a cleaning machine and let him do it. Worked a treat on my car and mine was so bad the heat shields were vibrating!

Hi buddy, thanks for the input..what sort of costs were involved with this procedure?

My GB survived as I caught the problem early but my TC eventually failed. So new rad and bits , I think about £160 for a nissen rad £250 for a TC rebuild and the car was sensational again.
I used Mackies transmissions up here in Glasgow, they are brilliant.

AndyKO said:
Hi buddy, thanks for the input..what sort of costs were involved with this procedure?

£10 for the conditioner plus oil and filter change. Millers do an MB spec oil. If your handy with the tools it's an easy job. Black C55 posted on this and I posted on how to flush the oil out of the converter a couple of years back.
I think £120 will see you good for a flush with a machine. A lot of people are against lotions and potions but the Americans have a lot of experience with this gearbox and it worked for me and saved me a lot of time and money so you've got nothing to loose.

potions but the clutch plates in the converter get

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom