04 sl350 engine light on intermitantly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noodles molloy

Car
sl 350
I have an SL 350 on an 04 plate,I have no idea what I have done wrong! I have been know on the odd occasion to run the petrol tank down quite low and two Friday's ago the engine light came on, I rang my trusty Merc garage and they told me to drop it in on the Monday; by Monday morning the light had gone out.. they told me no light no point in diagnostic as it would not show an thing. This Friday gone the same thing again, the engine coughed and spluttered and would not start, so I turned off and on again this time it sprang into life as normal, however the engine light was on again. I repeated the phone call, they said bring in Monday and we will stick it in the diagnostic machine thing... well I have just been out to take it to the garage and the light is off... again.... so I shall leave them a message explaining all.. So my question is... Have I sucked up crap into the injectors from running low on petrol also is it an easy job to sort out??? No... I know nothing about car engines... any feed back would be useful.

If the EML has come on there will be a stored fault code. I'd take the car in and see what is going on.

M272 engine before 2006 it may well be balance shaft sprocket - it does trigger eml light

Last edited:
thanks for heads up

Thank you so much for replying, the engine died on me twice yesterday and restarted immediately each time. Today however she died and would not restart for 10 min's but the eml did come on so I drove straight to the garage. They worked their magic and fitted a new crank shaft position sensor. Apparently a common fault on said type of engine. Thank you for the heads up about stored faults, makes me wiser for next time. Lets hope I do not have to ask for help again or at least for a while. thank you again for your help.:bannana:

Thank you so much for replying, the engine died on me twice yesterday and restarted immediately each time. Today however she died and would not restart for 10 min's but the eml did come on so I drove straight to the garage. They worked their magic and fitted a new crank shaft position sensor. Apparently a common fault on said type of engine. Thank you for the heads up about stored faults, makes me wiser for next time. Lets hope I do not have to ask for help again or at least for a while. thank you again for your help.:bannana:

To be fair any garage should know about stored fault codes. If yours didn't then maybe time to look for a new garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom