107 SLC advice on Subframe, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I’m going to buy something a little sporty. Not fond of soft-tops, I’m going to look for a Lexus 430sc, or, staying in-house, an SLC.

I’ve been browsing and the very big issue on the SLC (all 107’s) seems to be sub-frame failure.

In the US forums they refer to an MB recall with Merc accepting there’s a serious weakness, certainly on the heavy block engines, later proved to be the same with alloy.

I can't find any info on here about the problem.

Would anyone know if this has been dealt with by MB Europe in the same way?

Cheers,

Paul

The sub frame is the least of your worries.
Rot everywhere else is.
The 107 is a completely different beast to the Lexus, I would never group the 2 together... The 107 has bags of character.

The 430sc is a real ugly duckling - why on earth would you consider one if not just on price?

Have you ruled out R129's?

Hi,

I'm fond of Ugly Ducklings! From some angles I think it looks superb, and not bad from others! In the eye of the beholder, of course, but I think the 129's are much less attractive - sorry!

I have a lexus LS and I like the motor. If the 107 is a rot-box then I might go back to a 126 or 123/4 ce.

Thanks for scaring me!

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
With 107s there seems to be 2 types of cars left available for sale. Mint, garaged cars or rotten cars.
There doesn't seem to be much between anymore...

Beauty may well be in the eye of the beholder but I have yet to hear a positive review of 430SC's. They are slated on a cosmetic front as well as mechanically in every review from any worthwhile motoring publication.

I know as I also briefly considered one.

Putting the young duck / swan thing to one side, I've read some positive reviews.

Was there one big problem that came to the fore in the research you did? I thought these things with full dealer history were a safe bet?

I see what you mean about very good or very poor, and that seems to be the 2k or 10k choice on prices, the daft ones at 20k+ are having a laugh.

Cheers,

Paul

In the right colour with the right wheels-----?
1981.500SLC.f.jpg

Oooooh!!!! That's handsome!

^ Apart from the front spoiler.

I really like that front spoiler - looks like the standard later one painted black to make it look more subtle.

Be interesting to see what it looks like with a colour coded one.

Stunning looking car - I normally really want to like these but end up not. Especially when the later alternative is the SEC.....

Oh, and those wheels are the best... but if you've ever owned and cleaned BBS cross spokes before, the urge to get another set soon fades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom