113K on front brake pads. A new record?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Daily banger, a '98 C250 TD.

I changed the front pads yesterday at 205K after getting just a glimmer of warning a couple of days ago from the brake pad warning light on the dash.

Looking at the car's SH I see the pads & discs were last changed in 2008 when it had covered 92K. I've had the car since 2012 when it had 127K on the clock & have never changed them before.

Got my money's worth out of that set! The discs are still within tolerance too.

But if you used your brakes a bit more the front end would be in a much better state!

301933d1271113899-front-end-crash-99-c230-need-mb-bumper-damage-005.jpg

But if you used your brakes a bit more the front end would be in a much better state!

And all those pedestrians and cyclists would be alive today :eek:

The year before your car was born (1997) I managed to get a set of brakes to last 24 hours :thumb::D

So what?
Well it was a the Le Mans 24hrs and it was the first time a carbon braked car had achieved this. We desperately juggled the brake balance front to rear for the final few hours and asked the drivers to 'lift and coast' to eek out the last mm of both discs and pads. This allowed the Gulf McLaren to win the GT class and finish 2nd overall without a costly long pit stop.
Getting the brakes to last can make you faster....as long as you don't use the scenery to slow you down:doh:

Technology has now evolved to make this normal now, but the brake still dissipate the same amount of energy it takes to heat your house in winter (all winter!) in just 24hrs:eek:

Last edited:
The year before your car was born (1997) I managed to get a set of brakes to last 24 hours :thumb::D

So what?
Well it was a the Le Mans 24hrs and it was the first time a carbon braked car had achieved this. We desperately juggled the brake balance front to rear for the final few hours and asked the drivers to 'lift and coast' to eek out the last mm of both discs and pads. This allowed the Gulf McLaren to win the GT class and finish 2nd overall without a costly long pit stop.
Getting the brakes to last can make you faster....as long as you don't use the scenery to slow you down:doh:

Technology has now evolved to make this normal now, but the brake still dissipate the same amount of energy it takes to heat your house in winter (all winter!) in just 24hrs:eek:

???

Brands_Hatch-1996-09-08-006.jpg

No, that was 96 'short tail' car. .....but I did engineer that one:eek:

The 97 cars were the 'long tail' light blue and orange ones with subtle dayglo orange wheels!;)

Close! It was car 41 that won the class. The other two cars suffering oil fires thanks to a new super uprated oil union in the BMW engine.....new is not always better. An expensive lesson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom