124 Door lock barrels and keys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

My drivers door lock is knackered. The barrel is chewed up. Can I just replace the barrel with an eBay one, accepting that I will now have to use two keys? Or is there something I am not thinking through here.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Yep, the complete cylinder ('guide' in MB speak) can be swapped, almost literally, in seconds http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/72-240.pdf

Might have already tried this but if it's anything like mine you might find that the cylinder isn't knackered so much as gummed up with pocket lint and general crud making it stiff/fussy? Somewhere on the internet is a pictural showing the locks being stripped to their tumblers, properly cleaned, relubed and reassembled IIRC. Personally i just threw the entire thing into an ultrasonic cleaner and then flushed it through with a 'dry' teflon bicycle chain lube which got it working 100% again

I can only find a part # for the complete 'guide' (which is ~ £100 from MB) but https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...ved=0ahUKEwj_lNGl5sjLAhVEwxQKHdVIDe4Q_AUICCgC will get you some pics of a lock being stripped... personally if MB can't/won't supply just the lock barrel or a rebuild kit for sensible money i'd swap the passenger side over and stick a second hand one in the passenger door to avoid the two key thing most of the time

Yep, the complete cylinder ('guide' in MB speak) can be swapped, almost literally, in seconds http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/72-240.pdf

Might have already tried this but if it's anything like mine you might find that the cylinder isn't knackered so much as gummed up with pocket lint and general crud making it stiff/fussy? Somewhere on the internet is a pictural showing the locks being stripped to their tumblers, properly cleaned, relubed and reassembled IIRC. Personally i just threw the entire thing into an ultrasonic cleaner and then flushed it through with a 'dry' teflon bicycle chain lube which got it working 100% again

I can only find a part # for the complete 'guide' (which is ~ £100 from MB) but https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...ved=0ahUKEwj_lNGl5sjLAhVEwxQKHdVIDe4Q_AUICCgC will get you some pics of a lock being stripped... personally if MB can't/won't supply just the lock barrel or a rebuild kit for sensible money i'd swap the passenger side over and stick a second hand one in the passenger door to avoid the two key thing most of the time

What a great reply. Thank you. I may do as you suggest and simply swap the barrels over from passenger to drives side.

I'm happy to stick your barrel in my ultrasonic cleaner Bruce to see if that gets you anywhere.

I'm happy to stick your barrel in my ultrasonic cleaner Bruce to see if that gets you anywhere.

Charles is that a euphemism?

Sadly the barrel is physically damaged (I suspect with a screwdriver) and beyond fettling. A very kind offer though. Thank you.

Might have a spare lock Bruce. Certainly got handles but will need to check whether complete or not.

Gents

Are the barrels left & right sided or is it the case that the driers side will fit the passengers side etc?

I ask as only my drivers side barrel is broken. SO if I can simply swap with the passenger side then it's job done.

As hotrodder said above it's easy enough to strip a barrel down to it's tumblers. It's also sometimes possible to match a barrel to a key simply by reordering the tumblers. You just put the key in and see which tumblers are proud and which are recessed then swap them around until they are all flush. I did it on my W201 which probably uses the same locks as a W124.

Gents

Are the barrels left & right sided or is it the case that the driers side will fit the passengers side etc?

I ask as only my drivers side barrel is broken. SO if I can simply swap with the passenger side then it's job done.

They're not handed AFAIK but you will need to be able to insert and turn your key to remove the lock from the door.

Alternatively, you could fit something like this. No recommendation for that particular product, just the first link I came across to illustrate.

roadhog said:
They're not handed AFAIK but you will need to be able to insert and turn your key to remove the lock from the door. Alternatively, you could fit something like this. No recommendation for that particular product, just the first link I came across to illustrate.

No link?

They're not handed AFAIK but you will need to be able to insert and turn your key to remove the lock from the door.

Alternatively, you could fit something like this. No recommendation for that particular product, just the first link I came across to illustrate.

No link?

Click on the underlined word:D

I ordered the ignition barrel from Mercedes a few years ago. They were able to supply the correct one to match the other locks/key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom