1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

13 Year old Comand - Lens issue

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by ldare, Dec 4, 2016.

1. ldare

ldare Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 A180 Classic / 2003 270ML Inspiration
    Hi
    I have 2003 M series and the Comand unit wont read Cds. I made a few diy CD cleaners (cd, drill hole, glue in sponge, another glue in bristles) and both came out very dirty but no joy restoring the lens. I dont think I have the skill or time dismantle clean, rebuild and Im not sure I have the skill to replace the lens. Has anyone on here actually successfully done this? If so how easy did you find it? (Ive read the steps and watched the videos).

Cheers
    Louis

2. David404

David404 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320 Sport
    ask commandonline of they do repairs???

3. OP
    OP
    ldare

Car:
    They do repairs, too over priced for a unit if its aged hence the option of a diy repair.

4. OP
    OP
    ldare

Car:

The company Comand Online recommend charge £259. As reconditioned units are £99 on eBay I'll do the math and go for the cheaper option.

NB: I took mine apart, real easy, just google Comand 2.0 dismantle. Cleaned the lens with surgical spirit - lots of black dust came off. But that didnt cure it. A new lens is £35 and Ive no promise that'll fix it so I think once I buy a reconditioned unit I'll chuck mine on eBay.

5. OP
    OP
    ldare

Car:
    Just to follow up. I ordered the lens from China for a tenner. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151895106848 But you can get in the UK. Its a panasonic unit so search RAE0142 make sure it has the IC. My local TV repair shop have quoted £45 labour to replace the lens. NB I was quoted £269 from the company Comand Online recommended.