13th time lucky for L driver

Scary or well done?

• Scary. Hasn't a scooby & shouldn't have a license.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Well done her! Welcome to the highway.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
"Teresa Clarke is celebrating passing her driving test after 27 years with L plates.

The 62-year-old from Norfolk has spent £15,000 on 450 hours of lessons from 20 different instructors.

She kissed her examiner after being told she had passed at the 13th time of asking."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7499804.stm

If it takes someone that long to pass the test, they shouldnt be on the road in the 1st place.

Whilst she'll be no schumaker, she has passed the DSA test and therefore on that occasion her driving was suitable to be entrusted to drive by herself.

C'mon folks, if you had to take the DSA driving test tomorrow, do you think you'd pass. Lets give her the benefit of the doubt.

C'mon folks, if you had to take the DSA driving test tomorrow, do you think you'd pass. Lets give her the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe, we all pick up bad habbits, but do you really think someone who failed the same test, 12 times over all those years should be let loose on our roads?

Benifit of the doubt ?
I'm with Karl on this one.
This is only my opinion but getting it right once does not make you a good driver.
However getting it wrong 12 times does make you a bad one.

Hmm, tough one, TBH having seen some of the instructors out there (step son too 7 attempts and 2 paid for instructors got the boot!) I'm not surprised!

Jamie wasn't taught how to look past the end of the bonnet, that a clutch was anything other than an on/off switch, that signs in red circles might not be a speed limit sign......

It was really that bad, he had 5 tests with paid for people before we took over teaching him all failed for different reasons among them, driving too slowly (he'd been told it was a 30 zone by instructor despite 40 signs!) and not checking mirrors when exiting a roundabout (cos I already know whats there and need to see in front of me!)

His sister passed 1st time and has crashed into a few posts, curbed wheels etc sine March and Jamie hasn't done any damage to any car since he passed in Jan (yet!)
Kate

Benifit of the doubt ?
I'm with Karl on this one.
This is only my opinion but getting it right once does not make you a good driver.
However getting it wrong 12 times does make you a bad one.

On that basis, we are all bad drivers. I will guarantee that at some time when driving, we all do something wrong, which would result in a fail on a driving test.

Tricky one, so I haven't voted on the poll.

You don't learn to "drive" until you're out there on your own...without an instructors extra pair of eyes and pedals to save you!

In some ways yes she has passed therefore she is entitled to drive, however it could be seen to quite concerning for her to take that many attempts to pass. So I don't know, I'd like to (hypothetically) go for a drive with her!

She only has 8 years then she has to do it all over again, doesn't she??!

IMHO It shouldn't take more that 3 attempts to pass a driving test, they're not exactly taxing.
I suspect this lady isn't really of the required standard but just scraped through on one test.

I thought it took more than one or two minor issues before the test was deemed a fail.

jadefox?

I thought it took 16 or more minors to fail....

Last edited:
When's she going for motorbike?

I can see the points re failing so many times meaning she probaby won't be a good driver. Butwhat then is an acceptable number of times to fail a test.

Dieselman started with saying no more than 3 attempts. My old man took 3 attempts and is one of the safest drivers I know with only so much as 1 parking prang to his name. Not bad in 30 years.

My mothers pal, passed 1st time, she can't get out of 3rd gear and is fine in automatic cars, but christ she is awful.

One of the ways I got thru my test without being a bucket of nerves was knowing that failing it didn't mean I would be confined to a life without driving, as £40 later it could be resat over and over again. Nervousness takes a huge part in driving tests,and that could only be applified if you only had a limited number of attempts.

IMHO It shouldn't take more that 3 attempts to pass a driving test, they're not exactly taxing.
I suspect this lady isn't really of the required standard but just scraped through on one test.

I thought it took more than one or two minor issues before the test was deemed a fail.

jadefox?
Wow!
i am amazed and surprised by folks attitudes, surely if they are good enough then that is it? Was it a one off?? Could be, and was it a one off when we passed our tests?

I have never taken a civilian car driving test so should I be banned??

>>

>>

>>

All those that said yes :p :p to you.

I have taken a civilian HGV1 test which at the time qualified any driver to drive all vehicles from cars right up to artics.

Oh and I was an advanced motor cycle instructor and managed to get a 40yr old lady through her advanced test.

Live and let live works for me.

Regards
John

jadefox?

To pass the UK driving test, you are currently allowed 15 driver errors, and none of these can be serious or dangerous driver errors.

Therefore, if the woman failed her driving test all those times the she is a liability and obviously could not drive well enough to pass!!!

Oh and I was an advanced motor cycle instructor and managed to get a 40yr old lady through her advanced test.

it's absolutely nothing to do with age John :)

I taught a 60 yr old to drive, they had never had a licence and passed first time.

BUT had you been trying to teach that 4 yr old lady to pass her bike test but she had already taken the test 15 times before, wouldn't it strike you that perhaps she wasn't of the calibre to pass the test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom