18" Winter Alloys arrived today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevehg

I understand that I need at least 17" wheels to clear the calipers on my E220 estate, so I decided to order some winter alloys that matched exactly the size of my front wheels...
c9400492ac480dad3caf4e75e7cc1279_zpsc59959ed.jpg

These are 8.5x18 et48 and the tyres are 245/40 18's. So I found online that Rial do a set of 5 spoke alloys designed for MB's for use as winter alloys that fortunately have exact same specs. They are made in Germany, TUV approved, 5 year warranty and ape the traditional AMG 5 spoke design...
35979a5e516c72cb7d2d8ff8887307e5_zps8ba14640.jpg

They cost £81 me each delivered, and took just under a week to arrive from Germany. On first inspection they look well made, and the finish is good too. Being winters, I didn't want any fancy diamond finish designs, so just went for the M10 in polar silver. You can order them on line here...
Alloy wheels Rial M10 (Silver) 18 inches - Tyre Leader

I have some Nokian WR A3's to fit in the next month or so. Here are some more pics just in case anyone is interested in getting a set...
d88adaa9758105fb2989a57f0e1a9708_zpsd4426bf9.jpg

753d08e9c5ff4a2eef3bcf69cb12c7e0_zps57334378.jpg

d0f7b816e6874d83e031bf986987d92f_zpsf8efc6ff.jpg

707a4940976659f8ecaef8b9a2b606d2_zps115a4dc1.jpg

Look great and the price is good. I've always gone for oem wheels for winter use due to potholes.

I had after market wheels in the past and they damaged easier on winter road conditions.

Whoa a, what's that number embossed on the outside of the alloy all about?

Out of interest - which winter tyres did you choose?

S

Whoa a, what's that number embossed on the outside of the alloy all about?

Out of interest - which winter tyres did you choose?

S
It's the TUV approval no. It has to be visible from the outside. It means that an owner in Germany can fit it to their car and meet annual inspection requirements and not have to make any modifications to their registration document. It also means that insurance is ok too.

I chose Nokian WR A3 245/40's

Look great and the price is good. I've always gone for oem wheels for winter use due to potholes.

I had after market wheels in the past and they damaged easier on winter road conditions.
It's hard to know who manufacturers a lot of the aftermarket wheels and what quality they are. I did look at buying a used set of genuine alloys on eBay etc. But people seem to have an inflated view of their worth (or I had a lower ;) view) when selling them with tyres with 3mm of tread. Or they were in a shocking state, and again I obviously have a differing opinion of what constitutes damage! ;)

I was looking to buy a set of WSP alloys. They make a number of the alloys for the likes of MB, VAG, etc. but these are still about £220-250 each, but I was happy to do this for known quality, but then I came across the Rial ones. The TUV approval and their 5 year warranty gave me comfort that they are a good enough quality. The price was a nice bonus. Buying direct from Germany via tyreleader site, means I'm unlikely to use the warranty, but if anyone does want this peace of mind, you can buy them in the UK from Wolfrace at about £118 a wheel. Their model no. Is GB m10.

cheers, Steve

Hmmmm. This is tempting. Especially as I intend to keep the car. A very reasonable price too! Surely this isn't a real bargain?!?!

Just read up on the tyres. An interesting read. Why did you go for these?

I've never put winter tyres on. Have I got lucky or am I in a warm bit of the UK I wonder??!!?!

Last edited:
Well you certainly didn't need them as much last year where I live, as I don't remember de-icing the car once. There's no denying that in lower temps, snow and ice they are a better choice, but frankly it's a personal choice whether you fit them or not.

I went for the Nokians, as I have found them to be a very good make. I've limited experience though just of Goodyear ultragrips and Nokian WR D3's and reading the magazine reviews. The Nokians were very good, so when I saw they had the A3's available in the size I needed I went for them. No other reason :)

It was a very good price for the wheels, and seeing as UniWheel (Rial is the brand) make 7 million wheels a year, and supply most of these direct to the manufacturers I personally think they are a safe bet to purchase and use.

cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve HG

Looking to get a set for my E class (due delivery in December) So have bookmarked the supplier.

Steve:thumb:

I have Nokian A3s for my VWs - the tyre was absolutely fine driving to Dresden last December and not much noisier than summer tyres. I also found it was also had a slightly sharper turn-in than my usual Goodyear Asymmetric 2s which was nice.

Harry

Thanks for the feedback Harry. I've had the tyres fitted, but not swapped over yet. I've also got to have the tyres re-fitted as I've since realised that my car had the full TPMS, even though it was not ordered. Nice bonus to have, but would have been even better if I'd noticed before wasting £50. :doh:

Steve - glad post was of use :)

cheers, Steve

Thanks for the feedback Harry. I've had the tyres fitted, but not swapped over yet. I've also got to have the tyres re-fitted as I've since realised that my car had the full TPMS, even though it was not ordered. Nice bonus to have, but would have been even better if I'd noticed before wasting £50. :doh:

Steve - glad post was of use :)

cheers, Steve

Steve,

If I am reading this correctly, you had to refit your tyres because of TPMS!

Did you buy additional sensors then, to go inside the tyres and if so how much were they?

I have ordered some wheels and tyres from the place you recommended - they are due to arrive imminently.

Steve

does prices on the website inc vat? was there any shipping/import tax?

Hi,

The price includes VAT and I had free delivery. These come from Germany and as in EU no import charges.

Steve G

Steve, they look fab :thumb:

By the way, where did you get the spec of your existing MB alloys? My S212 is the SE spec with 17" alloys but apart from knowing the the tyre size (245/45/17) I have no idea what the wheel spec/size is.

Cheers

Looking good.......excellent price, do I see the JWL mark as well?

Thanks for the tip on this, I have just ordered these wheels coupled with vredestein win train tyres for my W218. A forum member on MBOC was kind enough to share your link and spec the tyre/wheel combo.
Silly question but I see you have the MB logo in the centre caps, did these come fitted or did you have to source elsewhere?

Steve, they look fab :thumb:

By the way, where did you get the spec of your existing MB alloys? My S212 is the SE spec with 17" alloys but apart from knowing the the tyre size (245/45/17) I have no idea what the wheel spec/size is.

Cheers
My car was supplied, in a yellow folder, with a specification sheet. Along with build date, it has all of the car specs. Wheels and tyre specs of those fitted were in there too. If you don't have this, you can always take off a wheel and look on inside face as it will be stamped there along with MB part no. Etc.

Looking good.......excellent price, do I see the JWL mark as well?
Yes JWL is there, although I believe this is less stringent, so I understand that the TUV cert no. is better quality bell weather.

Thanks for the tip on this, I have just ordered these wheels coupled with vredestein win train tyres for my W218. A forum member on MBOC was kind enough to share your link and spec the tyre/wheel combo.
Silly question but I see you have the MB logo in the centre caps, did these come fitted or did you have to source elsewhere?
No, just wheels are shipped. I just put those in for pics. MB ones came with the car, star ones are aftermarket and ordered online.

cheers, Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom