18inch space saver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scooter

Car
mercedes 230te w124
I have 18 inch wheels on my car and i was looking for a 18 inch spacesaver/doughnut just incase of a punture as everybody knows a 18 inch alloy won't fit in the spare wheel compartment

quick question would a 18 inch space saver fit in the spare wheel compartment and where could i get one from
or is there any advice of what the rest of you do in that case of a puncture cheers

w124 estate

Uh? Just because you have 18" does not mean you have a greater rolling circumference from the normal wheel/tyre combo for your car. So, just use one of the original wheel/tyre combos for your car.

Firstly I don't know why you want an 18" space-saver as the diameter of the wheel will make no difference. Unless you've put enormous brakes on your car a 15" steel would likely suffice and be much safer than an 18" space-saver.

Secondly the W210 E55 AMG came with an 18" spare (8" width) and was fitted into the boot area using W124/123 components and as stated the rolling circ should be the same for your wheel/tyre combo as factory.

Thirdly there is a 17" steel space-saver made for the W211 and W219 but I can't guarantee it'll fit as the wheel/tyre combo for the W124 is more like 201/202/203/208/209/210/170/171 etc

hi thanks for the reply's what it is i got a puncture passenger rear a few months ago when i put the spare on 15inch it didn't seem to drive right maybe it was just me so what are say if my car has a 18 inch one side and a 15inch spare the other side it will be ok to drive to get me home i don't want to fit a 15inch and the car won't drive without damaging the drive itself

The spare is generally intended as a 'get-you-home' aid only. It really perplexes me when people drive around on skinny spares for weeks on end! Get the punctured tyre off, spare on, get home/to a garage and then get the tyre fixed. SIMPLES!

I've driven a car with a space saver and it is very disconcerting.
Be sure to have the correct pressure (60psi ?) and take it easy around the bends.

I've driven a car with a space saver and it is very disconcerting.
Be sure to have the correct pressure (60psi ?) and take it easy around the bends.

Didn't Top Gear or the likes do a test on a car with space savers some time ago? Think they put 1 on, then 2, then 3 and then 4 to see how they performed, not very well I seem to remember!

hi thanks for the reply's what it is i got a puncture passenger rear a few months ago when i put the spare on 15inch it didn't seem to drive right maybe it was just me so what are say if my car has a 18 inch one side and a 15inch spare the other side it will be ok to drive to get me home i don't want to fit a 15inch and the car won't drive without damaging the drive itself
A "proper" spare wheel and tyre will be a LOT safer than a space saver.

No-one is stopping you from buying another 18" wheel like the ones already fitted to your car to which you can fit the tyre of your choice and then after a puncture you can happily drive without compromise.

as above, you dont need an 18" spare, 17" should be ok unless you have hufe disks and calipers which it cant fit over!

I have never understood the concept of a 'space saver' spare wheel and I am sure most have thought about this at some point.
If you used every inch of space in a car which had a space saver to store luggage what happens if you get a puncture?
The space saver goes on to keep you going but what do you do with the BIG wheel which will not fit anywhere?

A good point often made! Car manufacturers really use a space saver as a money saver.

I have never understood the concept of a 'space saver' spare wheel and I am sure most have thought about this at some point.
If you used every inch of space in a car which had a space saver to store luggage what happens if you get a puncture?
The space saver goes on to keep you going but what do you do with the BIG wheel which will not fit anywhere?

It ends up on the knee of the front seat passenger. At least you get a plastic bag to put the wheel in!

Hi. I am a newbie and have an '09 W219 CLS: this has a 17" Space Saver spare, but I would much prefer to buy a new 18" alloy wheel and new tyre. Unsure whether it will fit in the wheel well? Having said that, I did a search on Autotrader, and it came up with 1 CLS, fitted with a full size spare.

W219 Spare Wheel.

I have 18 inch wheels on my car and i was looking for a 18 inch spacesaver/doughnut just incase of a punture as everybody knows a 18 inch alloy won't fit in the spare wheel compartment

quick question would a 18 inch space saver fit in the spare wheel compartment and where could i get one from
or is there any advice of what the rest of you do in that case of a puncture cheers

w124 estate

Does anyone know whether a full size 18" alloy wheel will fit in the W219 (CLS) wheel well? I guess it is possible, since I did a search on Autotrader and it came up with 1 car with a full size spare.

Does anyone know whether a full size 18" alloy wheel will fit in the W219 (CLS) wheel well? I guess it is possible, since I did a search on Autotrader and it came up with 1 car with a full size spare.
You could answer this question yourself in a few minutes if you took out all the tools, jacked the car up, took a wheel off and tried it in the wheel well ;)

Full Size Spare Wheel.

Thanks for that reply, but I wanted some reassurance,mbefore buying the new alloy and tyre.

Have seen the exact M-B wheel on offer at Hunzmann for €299. Quite a steal, with the ever dropping exchange rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom