1902 Benz crashes on London to Brighton run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Like the title says, a 1902 Benz was involved in a three car collision on the London to Brighton run. Six people were injured, including two seriously from the Benz.

_98625117_hi042825311.jpg

Let's hope they recover soon.

Like the title says, a 1902 Benz was involved in a three car collision on the London to Brighton run. Six people were injured, including two seriously from the Benz.

_98625117_hi042825311.jpg

Let's hope they recover soon.

Do we know what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the Simplex from the Mercedes Museum by the look of it - see the headlights.

Those London-Brighton drivers are braver (dafter) than I. Shudder.

I'm thinking it must be this one, although the wheel colour's different

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
What happens when a car like this is totalled? Obviously it’s going to be insured for a hefty sum but it’s a piece of history. It’s not a case of oh well it’s written off let’s claim the insurance and buy another one.

That's the Simplex from the Mercedes Museum by the look of it - see the headlights.

Those London-Brighton drivers are braver (dafter) than I. Shudder.

I'm thinking it must be this one, although the wheel colour's different

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think the only similarity is the lamps are both brass..otherwise totally different.

But how many 1902 Mercs are there in the World? (Someone here will know...).

The Museum one is a two-seater "racer," I think....

I have a few pics I took exactly 25 years ago at the start of the run in Hyde Park - quite a few Mercedes, not sure about Benz (weren't they separate brands back then?).

Could be one of these:

38168503076_705ae431c3_o.png

Got a few scanned in a while ago:

37513120094_7903d2d97e_o.jpg

26447424249_3af16483f2_o.jpg

38191722432_720f0dc216_o.jpg

26447425539_5a27a50673_o.jpg

quite a few Mercedes, not sure about Benz (weren't they separate brands back then?)

Yes - Benz and Mercedes (Daimler) were separate makes till the 20s when the companies merged to form Mercedes-Benz.

Reactions: GLK
Benz Tonneau 1902?

Hi,
When I was younger we used to do the Commercial London to Brighton in a 1914 Dennis Fire engine.
I recently found some photos on the net by putting the registration number of the fire engine - taken by a keen photographer at the 1971 event.
We were lucky to be hosting the Magpie children’s TV program.
In the photo below my father is driving, I am in the middle - next to Susan Stranks. Pete Brady and Tony Bastable are on the back!
DAFD32AC-8115-42B2-9E49-754FD8E4D387.jpeg
Cheers
Steve

Can you imagine how you would feel if, used to driving more modern cars, you were driving that Benz down a steep hill and the brakes failed? No crumple zones, no protective bodywork, no seat belts, nothing? I can, but I'd really rather not. I hope the crew were/will be OK.

I have to admit, if I'd been the driver, the smell after the crash would have been awful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom