190E heater not working... help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
Hi guys

My 190E heater has just stopped working. First sign of a problem was when the blower wouldn't work. This was easily traced back to a blown fuse, but since then, the heater doesn't get warm.

Any ideas please? And/or any good indies around South Wales who could fix it. I've had a bad experience with Stuttgart servicing the car and charging me for replacing parts that were only months old, so I am not comfortable going back to them.

PS It wasn't clear which section heating problems would come under, so please feel free to move this to the appropriate place.

Many thanks in advance.

Were you getting heat before the fuse blew?

In other words, was the heating system fine?

Were you getting heat before the fuse blew?

In other words, was the heating system fine?

Yes, it was fine before the fuse blew.

Just wondering what caused the fuse to blow? My guess is that the motor has burnt out and blown the fuse. A Bosch replacement motor is £60 ish and a doddle to fit (subject to where the motor is situated, as in under the dash or behind the scuttle). Mb want £300 plus for the privilege of supplying the motor and housing

There is a pneumatically activated heater circulation valve which can go wrong. The diaphram leaks and the valve fails to operate. Its found in the engine compartment right close to front bulkhead. Not expensive to replace if its faulty.

Just wondering what caused the fuse to blow? My guess is that the motor has burnt out and blown the fuse. A Bosch replacement motor is £60 ish and a doddle to fit (subject to where the motor is situated, as in under the dash or behind the scuttle). Mb want £300 plus for the privilege of supplying the motor and housing

The blower works again now, since I replaced the fuse, just no hot air! I should have made that clearer. Is that still your likely diagnosis, Ian?

Last edited:
The blower works again now, since I replaced the fuse, just no hot air! I should have made that clearer. Is that still your likely diagnosis, Ian?
Not now mate. I think Grober may be on the right track though.

Hi all, I have a similar problem with the heater in my 190E.

The heater does not work at any speed, this can be traced back to a blown fuse, but every time I change the fuse for a new one it blows it as soon as you switch the heater fan on.

But the systam does seem to produce hot air, which can be felt through the vents when on the move.... The faster you go the more warm air you get through the vents, but this is not much use when stationary or travelling under 20mph (which is quite often here in London!).

Any ideas on this folks?

Cheers Dee

The heater does not work at any speed, this can be traced back to a blown fuse, but every time I change the fuse for a new one it blows it as soon as you switch the heater fan on.

But the systam does seem to produce hot air, which can be felt through the vents when on the move.... The faster you go the more warm air you get through the vents, but this is not much use when stationary or travelling under 20mph (which is quite often here in London!).

Any ideas on this folks?

Cheers Dee

Replace the blower motor. See above.

Any ideas on this folks?

Cheers Dee

Your heater motor has seized causing the fuse to blow.

As stated, replacing the motor is the only option. I just fitted one to my car. Just in time for this cold snap too!!!!
It's not a hard job, just a bit fiddly that's all. Euro Car Parts sell them for around £45 with free next day delivery.

If you need a guide on how to fit one, just click on the link for the mercedes190.co.uk at the bottom in my sig and do a search for 'A guide To Getting To The Heater Motor'

Stu

Im must say one can not say how good a 'to do guide' is untill they actually try it out...

I got my new blower motor from ECP, used the guide provided in the link above by stwat, & found the job a doddle! Also rejuvenated my wiper mechanism while it was off the car as this the best way on the W201 unlike the W124....

Now it heats up better than my W124 & no condensation!!

Cheers Stwat for sharing that link with us!

Last edited:
Yesterday my 190E 2.6 fan just stopped working as I turned it up to a higher speed. Plenty of heat, no noises just died.

Can't see a fuse in the fuse box, Haynes is useless. Can someone direct me please?

TIA.

Neil, the heater blower fuse is number 1...

Try changing that first if its blown, if it repeatedly blows every time you put the heater speed on/up, then like mine, your motor has seized & will need changing...When I got my old one out, i could hardly turn it over it was so seized.

Dee,

Many thanks, I don't know how I didn't see it on the cover.

First fuse blew after about 2 seconds on the highest fan setting, second one has lasted over 30 mins. so far with no noises or anything untoward. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom