1972 280 SE 3.5 Auto

Which option?!

• Back to factory restoration

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • AMG C36 or similar conversion and restoration

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jixon

Car
Mercedes-Benz 280 SE 3.5
Hello,

I am after some guidance and opinion!

I've got a 1972 280 SE 3.5 Auto that I have owned for a year. I had it advertised on eBay as bought a VW Golf Rallye however I have decided to keep her!

The car doesn't owe me a lot and I have given myself five years to get it completed. It needs a lot of welding and a paint job. I've not tried the engine but will look to see what it's like when moved from storage in the next few weeks.

My dilemma...

Option 1 - Full restoration, back to the just left the factory look
Option 2 - Full restoration, this time with a C36 AMG or similar engine (see the H&R vehicle below)

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250 SE With C 36 AMG Engine at Essen Motor Show 2013

What would they be worth? If the 280 wasn't the 'desirable' 3.5, or so I am told then, it would be the AMG engine conversion. I don't want to throw away the old engine if it's going to be a future high value car...

If you're up for a long term project, then choose the option you really want.
Either option will cost you much more than than value of the finished car.

That's a generalisation, I know. Having done a 'chassis up' rebuild on a wreck, it usually applies to all but the rarest of vehicles.

The C36 engine isn't a straight drop in job but the later V8s will go in nicely with little work.

The 4.5 is literally a straight swap though if you just want something very easy.

A 4.5 would probably be my choice , since it would still look original ; plus I'd keep the original engine - that way if the car was ever to be sold on it could be offered with the option of reverting back to original spec , thus no devaluation for a prospective buyer who wanted originality .

The 4.5 did have a useful power advantage over the 3.5 and , IIRC , was offered in that car for the USA ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom