1979 Mercedes sl bulkhead question with picture.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j28

Car
sl
Hi all,

Ive just bought a 1979 450 sl thats been standing in a garage for 20 years, Ive always wanted one and i found this through a friend of mine, it was his aunties and shes the 3rd owner. The last year it was outside which is a shame and probably has caused most of the corrosion to the outside. so probably not the only one to ask for some advice concerning the bulkhead, but before i continued with the restoration of this lovely car i do need a second opinion on the condition of the bulkhead and whats the best way forward for this particular area.

Ive had a good look around and used an inspection camera and really the rust is only in the picture you can see below. Doesent look to bad to me. The rest of the car is solid underneath, surprisingly!.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• SL Bulkhead.jpg
    SL Bulkhead.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 67
Looks the start of the normal 107 problems, also don't forget to check under the grilles each side as the panels there rust out and also allow water into the cabin of the car.
Can become a very costly repair and have know repairs to be £2k plus but if it isn't to bad I've repaired them for £800-£1000 max

Fairly standard for a 107 heater plenum chamber. You can bet there will be more hidden rust in the boot, sills and under the floor mats. Early R107s drive very differently from the later cars and aren't particularly desireable. I'd made sure you really want one before you take a project like this on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom