1980 450SL fast tickover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tombo5609

Car
mercedes e270
My new/old toy has a problem that has confused my local mechanic. I still had to pay his bill of course.
Whilst the engine sounds healthy enough, it is ticking over at 1500rpm in neutral and 1000rpm in gear.
All Internet info put this down to the air control valve which I replaced with a used unit bought on line.
It is not surging just running too fast and also appears to be running rich. The idle control screw is in as far as it will go.
Could anyone recommend a garage in Manchester area that are familiar with theses old Mercs.
Oh I forgot, it is a 1980 450SL..

Yeah I would say definitely find a garage that knows them! Don't let anyone turn screws etc, adjust the c/o.
All it will do is cost more money in the long run, as the repairing garage will have to back track over the bad work after the original problem is cured.
I have this constantly, especially in the summer months when the classic cars come out again.
On the old 116 v8's a faulty over voltage protection relay would cause this.
There is a fuse in the top of the relay which could have blown

Yeah I would say definitely find a garage that knows them! Don't let anyone turn screws etc, adjust the c/o.
All it will do is cost more money in the long run, as the repairing garage will have to back track over the bad work after the original problem is cured.
I have this constantly, especially in the summer months when the classic cars come out again.
On the old 116 v8's a faulty over voltage protection relay would cause this.
There is a fuse in the top of the relay which could have blown

Actually....
Your car doesn't have an ovp tommo :doh:
So my bad!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom