1987 300CE W124 California?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanMorgan

Car
R129 500SL, W124 300CE Twin Turbo, W210 E55 AMG, W211 E320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

I have recently bought a 1987 300CE W124 with just 28K miles on the clock from a friend at a good price. However, compared to my 1990 230CE, this one had a bigger spec and I also noticed a sticker in the glove box with "Zung Fu Company LTD". Which I believe is a Mercedes dealer in Hong Kong. Also, on the log book, its said it was first registered in 1999 and only has one owner from new.

My question is what are all the differences from the California spec from the original spec? I'm not sure whether to clean the car up and give it a good service or (in some eyes ruin it by) lowering it and doing other modifications.

How much is it likely to fetch? The registration is E371 XKG

Regards,

Dan

What's the VIN?

Haven't got that on me at the moment as the car is in the garage sorry!

Below is the sticker found in the glove box though

EvDlBds.jpg

Do you have pictures of this car?

Getting a list of all differences between a US car and Eu spec car is not going to be easy. I don't think Hong Kong were supplied US spec cars as a matter of course, AFAIK they were Euro spec with tweaks....

I don't have any decent pictures really - it looks like a usual CE, but it has electric folding headrests, electric seats, A/C, different cluster, different steering wheel and a different style of leather interior compared with my 230ce.

I don't think Hong Kong were supplied US spec cars as a matter of course, AFAIK they were Euro spec with tweaks....

I'd say you're spot on. I've seen two HK cars (very low mileages too) and both looked very similar to highly optioned Euro cars.

Dan

In US build Mercs the only difference in the "California spec" versus the other 49 state spec was in the emission control system.

Slight modifications and settings...
California cars , even early ones, had air pumps long before the other builds.

Ed A.

Thanks for the input.

How much do you think the car is worth? I'm pretty sure the car has genuine mileage, but have limited service history. Bodywork is in good condition and only 28k miles

Thanks for the input.

How much do you think the car is worth? I'm pretty sure the car has genuine mileage, but have limited service history. Bodywork is in good condition and only 28k miles

Dan

Assume it's LHD which probably lowers the UK value...
28K mile pristine example in the USA would be 5K-8K sterling.

It may be worth more in Germany ?

Ed A.

It's RHD - Not sure whether to do my own modifications to it such as lowering it a fair bit etc or to restore it to an excellent standard and sell it on

This might be a silly suggestion but being right hand drive in Hong Kong would it be more likely to be Japanese spec or a variation of? These were usually very high spec motors.

The VIN number is WDB1240502A786126

It's RHD - Not sure whether to do my own modifications to it such as lowering it a fair bit etc or to restore it to an excellent standard and sell it on

If it's RHD then doubtful it's a California spec.
LHD NA builds were to DOT and EPA standards.

RHD to a UK or Japan standard.

I was reading a diagnostic manual and the w124 pre 1990 had (California) after, so I just assumed - Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom