1989 W126 300se £1100 Hook, Hampshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C32Graham

Car
W126 300se E34 520
I saved this car from London where it had been sat on the street for 3 years getting very little use (c.500 miles a year) after the owner fell ill, with the intention of using it as a stop gap until my newly ordered BMW is delivered. Why get something new and boring when cars like this are around? I've had news that my new car is being delivered much sooner than I had expected so sadly I'm having to call it a day with my car.

What a car it is. A real 'feel good' car to drive, the high driving position and the long bonnet. Gets smiles all round from everybody that has had a drive and every time I'm out cleaning the car I get people stop and talk about it. The car is an '89 in a smokey grey colour, has a cloth interior which has grey outers with blue centres. Current Mileage is 81,800 miles so very low for the year. The previous owner was an elderly gent and purchased the car in 1998 via Motorcourt Wandsworth from the Mandeville hotel in London for £8000 with a mileage of 70,373. Interior seems to have faired well and shows little signs of wear. Having lived in London for most of its life the paintwork hasn't faired quite so well! As you can see in the pictures it cleans up lovely however there are parking dings, scratches, the bumper corners have marks and a patch of lacquer has come off of the front wing. As such it really could do with some paintwork, this is the main job on the car. The car appears to be remarkably rust free which is rare of this era of Mercedes (especially under the rear window!!). The only rust I can see is a small bit on one of the arches which links in with one of the dents on the rear drivers side(visible in the photos), also on the drivers side front wing just in front of the wheel arch is a tiny bubble (not broken then paint).
I have the purchase invoice and the last few years MOT certificates plus the work i've had done. That's it. The previous owners son has promised to look for the history but nothing yet sadly. As a precaution I had the oil changed, new oil filter and a fuel filter replaced by a local garage (with genuine Mercedes parts). Engine wise it starts and the car drives fine, though occasionally there is a very slight misfire when sat on the motorway. Were I keeping the car I'd be pretty confident that a set of plugs and leads or a dizzy cap would sort the issue. Its almost not noticeable. Last week I had a new caliper fitted to the passenger side front, This was previously sticking and causing the car to pull to the left under braking. This is now sorted and it stops as well as it goes. The MOT history suggests that the steering box has a weep, I can't confirm or deny this!

The car went for an MOT on the 31st of May which it passed with flying colours, not even an advisory!! I have been cleaning + tinkering with it ever since.

The bits in need of tinkering are:
Small engine oil leak - it leaves a few drips on the drive overnight
The drivers window clunks and needs a hand for the last 1cm.
The drivers side rear window has jumped off the rail. It worked when I picked the car up however with a thud it stopped working. I can still hear the motor whirring.
The radio doesn't seem to power up.
Clock doesn't work
Outside temp doesn't work
Cruise control seems to be misbehaving
The paintwork, it needs some TLC.

I'm happy to take and add any pictures of things that I've missed. I'll endeavour to add and engine bay shot asap.

I'd dearly love to have the car painted and enjoy the car for years. It wont take much and would be perfect as a daily driver that you can tinker with and improve as and when time and funds allow.

BC16D750-1E41-43C7-A70D-60AE5502A432_zpsjhtoghyu.jpg

BB459BAC-D90F-4C0C-A5BA-E80AC0BDA23B_zpspgrjymhm.jpg

0C037D34-45F7-4559-B743-DD90540BB0A8_zps0ho7lm2o.jpg

31F5167C-891D-444E-B8F7-B4887579449F_zpsekwgzfpy.jpg

857B628A-9F02-48AE-AEEA-968BDFA91A21_zpscdhjeoqs.jpg

1900287A-1EA6-4066-8640-BB99E1A69C24_zpsjpccaajw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom