1993 A124 300ce 24v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

el.gizmo

Car
1993 A124 300CE 24v, 1998 R170 SLK 230
Hi guys, new to your forum, hoping someone can help.
I bought my car 18 months ago as a project and have repaired quite a few things.
Went out early this morning and all four indicators were lit, no flashing though. I thought I must have knocked the hazard switch last night, but switch position was fine. Hazards do not work not does the indicators. Is it a faulty relay and where will I find it or something else.
Any ideas please.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
sounds like a relay,think it's the large black one(multi function)in the fuse box or could be an alarm issue

Last edited:
Hello Martyz,
Thanks for your reply. Had a look in the fuse box but there are no relays in it.
Tried setting and unsetting the alarm, indicators all go off and then come on again, also the alarm siren bleeps. Windows go un and down with repeated alarm setting as normal but still no normal indicators or hazards.
The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery.

Sorry to have mislead you on relay location,was thinking W201. Just thinking aloud now,if
the indicators go on and off with the alarm the relay is being switched,it could be the hazard switch or maybe the indicator stalk itself.

Most of the relays live in the box behind the fusebox. Need to undo I think 4 screws to gain access.

Just been to the car and re connected the battery. The alarm sounded immediately, cancelled on the remote and all 4 indictor lamps went off. Tested the stalk and the indicators all came on again. There is a small red lamp on dash showing when the alarm is set. There is a slow clicking somewhere in the dash and a matched flashing of this alarm lamp, but the indicators came on again and stayed on. Likewise with the hazard switch, there is a slow clicking sound, alarm lamp flashes but all 4 indicators stay on permanently. Battery dis connected now to avoid flattening it.

Can you check the battery voltage?
Had problems getting my alarm to dissarm yesterday, removed the battery all doors closed, removed wire from bonnet switch. Connected a fresh charged battery. All working as normal now.
Spent some time reading up on w124 alarms and the best advice I found on here is to remove the old system and fit a new alarm system.

I have checked the battery voltage all ok. The problem persists even with the engine running.
I have found the relays, there is a small square on at the back, an oblong black one at the front middle, I removed both of those one at a time and the indicators still all stay alight. There is also a larger oblong black one at the front right, when this is removed there appears to be still 2 plu connectors which come with the relay. I managed to remove the front connector with no effect but couldn't release the rear one, will try again now the rain has stopped.
However thinking about it, where are the indicators getting power from, I don't think its an alarm problem as it works properly. It must be something to do with the hazards. I will also try and remove the switch to see what happens.

Its either the large "combination relay" =in the fuse box or the hazard switch itself -- or possibly the alarm which piggy backs onto the hazard circuit to flash all the indicators

Last edited:
Replacement relay fitted

I have just fitted a replacement relay, indicators, hazards, wipers all work fine now. But ..... now the remote doesn't close the windows or set the alarm. Martyz you were spot on suggesting the big relay was faulty. Thanks.
I am going to refit the old relay tomorrow to see if the remote works again.
Thoughts, I had to remove another medium size relay to get to the large one, is it seated properly. Does this large relay also handle the alarm and windows. Is the replacement also faulty, hopefully will find out tomorrow.

Solved

Thanks to all who offered advice.
Yesterday the battery was low due to all 4 indicators burning all night when the relay failed. I charged it overnight and this morning all is sorted.
Thanks again.:bannana::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom