1995 s280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jomeara59

Car
1995 s280
new member hi too everyone have 95 s280 wiper problem wipers work for 4/5 minutes when turned on they stop working till the next day same next day they will work with a quick turn off and on all day changed relay same thing any ideas thks

Do o the below as soon as possible, before you use the wipers again, there after lubricate twice per year, let us know if this cures the fault.

Dec
[YOUTUBE]XCVhpeDLUHY&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

w140 doesn't have mono wiper. I suspect wiper relay could be to blame. If you're ok with soldering - take it out, take off cover and resolder all joints.

edit: didn't see you changed the relay. that leaves bad contact in stalk or at fuse?

Last edited:
will do that thks car was lying up for three years let you know everything else perfect

w140 doesn't have mono wiper. I suspect wiper relay could be to blame. If you're ok with soldering - take it out, take off cover and resolder all joints.

edit: didn't see you changed the relay. that leaves bad contact in stalk or at fuse?

Thanks, I did incorrectly read that as a c class, however the W140 does have a similar but smaller mechanism, do you know if it were not lubricated would it cause this problem.

Dec

will do that thks car was lying up for three years let you know everything else perfect

Brigadier did correctly state that your mechanism is different to the one in video, however remove the wiper arm cover and give it some lubrication.

Dec

It could be something else so let us know how it goes.

Dec

95 s280

cleaned fuses as i said changed relay wipers worked for 10/ min with quick on /off in heavy rain this morning then stoped wont work till tomorrow im at my wits end any ideas thks

You may have to work through the problem logically, isolating each component until you find the onw givign you the problem. Is there any way you can swap the relay with a known good item for a few days?

With the fuses, I'd consider just replacing them. They cost pennies, and cleaning doesn't always work as well as you might think.

Does the wiper do this on all settings, includign intermittant? There is a rain sensor that works on the intermittant setting, so perhaps that could be the problem?

Is there an easy way of connecting power directly to the motor to check the mechanism and motor are working properly to elimate those. PITA with the battery int he boot I know, but a power probe would do the job and would a useful tool to get if you haven't got one already.

Apologies for the random thoughts in no logical order. Hopefully someone with more experience in electrics will chip in soon.

work the same on all settings but it will be back working tomorrow its seems it is cutting itself out after 4/5 minutes on normal and i get around 10/ minutes out of intermittant drove 5 series they dont have a patch on this thks millo777

no ill do that tomorrow ireland in a rain storm at the moment thks again for the help 50 euros going too charity if i get this sorted thks dec

Also...Is there any possibility that when the wiper blades stop sweeping the screen that the wiper motor is still running, this can sometimes happen if gears inside the motor are damaged.

When the wipers stop sweeping the screen, do the stop in the same place every time?

If the wiper blades stop and the motor is still running, you would not hear the motor running from inside the car, you would need to open the bonnet and listen for a whine from the motor…with the engine off and with the ignition on.

Dec

I didn’t see the above before… 3 years of non use!... that makes it very very likely that the fault is a lubrication issue.

Use WD40 or a penetrating oil, initially, on every thing in/on that mechanism arm for now, follow up later with lithium grease, I bet that arm is the problem.

Dec

cleaned with wd 40 greased up put on wipers worked for 2/ minutes then stopped changed relay no joy i know they will work tomorrow im baffled any ideas?

when i turn on wipers can hear click on each turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom