1999 A140 Losing Power Up Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neil3576

Car
A140
Hi, please can someone give some advice with regards to my a140, i purchased it for my wife in December & have been on the motorway twice in it & everytime we go up a hill it seems to lose power (drops from 70 to 60) the car seems to run fine with normal day to day driving just seems sluggish on the motorway. it is an automatic by the way. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Neil.

Which motorway hill is it? Are you comparing it to a large engined car. I also have a 1999 a140 and an e280. On the m25 at Reigate the a140 does also slowdown.

Hi, thanks for replying it seems to be on the majority of hills mainly on the M6, was thinking about giving it a full service for a bit of piece of mind & to see if that helps. Also it seems to take an age to get to 70 coming onto the motorway, probably just me as i am used to driving a van

Last edited:
My wife has a petrol A160 manual and I find that pretty gutless, so an auto 140 even more so. These cars were never designed for performance I'm afraid.
Maybe time to introduce your wife to a full fat V8 AMG:D

Only joking!

my family car is a 2003/53 A140 auto i found it topped out at 85mph on a flat(ish) straight & on uphill sections of motorway the speed drops. I think the official top speed is about 100mph and its got about 82bhp when new and very little torque. Needless to say it normally only makes trips to the supermarket carpark and back.

Thanks for the help guys, pretty much thought that was the case with it only having 82BHP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom