2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riders

Car
CLC 220CDI
Hi I have just noticed my 2 year old Red C Class Coupe 220CDI AMG the paint on the boot lid has started to like pit up!
It looks like someone has got a pin and perforated the whole of the boot lid if you know what I mean.
Tried to take pictures but it doesn't show up, but run your finger or hand over the boot lid and it feels likes loads of pimples underneath!
Looking for some advice please?
Basically the best way to deal with this with Mercedes without going in all guns blazing because as you could guess I'm a bit ****** off by it!

Thanks!!!

Did you recently buy it?

Sounds like a respray has been done at some point and moisture trapped under the paint is now getting through... It happens if paint isnt baked correctly or other poor prep work.

Hi I have just noticed my 2 year old Red C Class Coupe 220CDI AMG the paint on the boot lid has started to like pit up!
It looks like someone has got a pin and perforated the whole of the boot lid if you know what I mean.
Tried to take pictures but it doesn't show up, but run your finger or hand over the boot lid and it feels likes loads of pimples underneath!
Looking for some advice please?
Basically the best way to deal with this with Mercedes without going in all guns blazing because as you could guess I'm a bit ****** off by it!

Thanks!!!

Why would you go in "all guns blazing"? The dealer did not paint it and all you will do is make everyone more stressed, imagine if someone came into your place of work with that attitude, how would you react?

Why not call, make an appointment to see them, mention the problem you wish to discuss and ask if they will make sure an appropriate person from the bodyshop is going to be available to discuss things?

Hi I bought it this time last year from a Mercedes dealership and it was an Ex Demo!
Had 8k on the clock and I have done another 4k so far!

DMS1000 where do you reckon I stand regarding this? Surely I'm covered under warranty?

As said poor paint prep, probably farmed out work presentable for approved used.I wouldn't think it was a deliberate action to wind you up, I would as said call them and tell them what's happened and go from there.

Or drive it through the showroom window!

Thing is that winds me up is it really isn't something you would expect from a Mercedes that old?

DMS1000 where do you reckon I stand regarding this? Surely I'm covered under warranty?

As has been said, it may have had a repair to the boot paintwork, this can be checked by measuring the paint thickness.

If it is an approved MB car with history then I would imagine MB would rectify the problem but you need to make contact, be calm, be polite and ask for an opinion on the cause and how they intend to fix it.

Thing is that winds me up is it really isn't something you would expect from a Mercedes that old?

You would not expect it from any car at that age but it is a fairly minor thing that can be rectified. It is really pointless getting stressed over this.

I had a Mercedes on lease 5 years ago it was involved in a minor collision parked up ( I wasnt in the car ) being a lease car to be honest I wasnt that fussed, the car was allegedly sent to a Mercedes paint shop it came out looking worse than it went it, colour match was bad even the wife who has no interest in cars whatsoever pointed it out, you could actually push your finger nail into the paint and peel it off, it went back 4 times before it was rectified.

Red is a hard colour to match I'm no expert something to do with the pigment in the paint so unless they blend the whole rear end it will stick out like a sore thumb ( park it under a street light and see for yourself )

That was my experience, in fairness I'm sure they will rectify the issue without any problems.

Hi Riders
I have the same problem :doh: , when cleaning the car Saturday I first noticed the problem on the roof , It's hard to describe it's like little tiny pin marks then after looking more closely I noticed some on the boot lid it dose not seem to be all over the car at the moment
When I was down at my local MB dealership Friday with another problem I mensioned it to the service department but they don't have any one there who is an expert on paint , but they gave me a number for dartford MB who do have an expert there so I will be giving them a call Wednesday
I must just say my car is just over 2 years old C Class AMG sport coupe colour red
Will let you know what they say it looks like there could be a problem with FIRE OPAL RED

Pretty much for a coincidence possibly.
Two Red C class both two years old?

As suggested a polite conversation regartding a repair and see if you can negotiate who does it, there are good finishers and there are very economic finishers, you want a perfect job and a good finisher might give the rest of the car a treatment to avoid any paint ageing signs being too obvious.

Be interesting to discover if its a manufacturing fault or more likely, a poor repair following some minor damage.

ATB:confused:

And this is the forum at its best. Two guys, same car, same colour, same issues. At least you both know there is a possibility of issues with this paint on these cars.

riders you dont have enough posts to pm yet, but I wonder how far apart you chassis numbers are - just thinking is all. If admin give riders PM authority you could then compare chassis numbers.

Johnnymerc bit of a coincidence this?

What are the chances of this happening within a few days of one another there was probably more chance of winning the lottery

This has come up before, might have been on here or t'other side. Same colour, possibly same year too !

jonnymerc said:
What are the chances of this happening within a few days of one another there was probably more chance of winning the lottery

And the chances of it happening at the factory? IMHO Nil :)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

It has not happened within a few days, how many cars were painted in that colour? Thousands probably!

Just deal with facts, approach your respective dealers and ask for a resolution.

Last edited:
It has not happened within a few days, how many cars wee painted in that colour? Thousands probably!

That's not what I meant , I meant discovering the problem in a few days apart I realise the cars were painted probably months apart

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom