1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

2001 W210 E320 CDi Estate Tailgate Struts replacement

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Peter Guilam, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Peter Guilam

Peter Guilam New Member

Car:
    Mercedes E320 CDI 2001
    I need to replace my tailgate struts; I can find no instructions in my manual or on the Web.
    Can anyone help me with instructions?
    Best place to buy struts?

2. OP
    OP
    Peter Guilam

Peter Guilam New Member

Car:
    Mercedes E320 CDI 2001
    I bought Mercedes struts for only 24pounds each and fitted them in 2 hours Many Thanks for your help

3. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi.
    Any tip or hints on fitting them, please?:thumb:

I can't find any instruction anywhere.

4. welland99

welland99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    I got a quote last week from my MB dealer of £38 + vat each.
    (anybody got a couple of good 2nd hand ones aailable?):eek:

5. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi.
    Trouble with used ones is one can't tell if they'll do the job, until they're fitted.

I'd only bother if I knew the manufacturing date was recent, i.e. they weren't originals.
    No point buying and fitting 18 year old ones, really?

6. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I bought mine of the big bay of E - a german site.

From memory.

You remove two pieces of trim (I think the load restraint holders) to access one end. The other can be accessed by removing the plastic trim adjacent the struts where they pop out. There is a steel band that needs to be levered out a little, then they will just pop out.

To put back, again pull the band out a little, pop em on, and push the band out.

Have the boot braced or someone holding it when you disconnect - it's heavy.

Similar to this...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gasfeder-Kof...m:S210&hash=item33bde9409f:g:tlUAAOSw65FXvv~V

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. bob6600

bob6600 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S210 E320 CDI
    1 person likes this.
  8. welland99

welland99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    I used this write up yesterday and it was very helpful, thanks!

Couple of things to note:
    1) The document suggested ECP part number 859220020 - currently £27.49. This is a non-stocked part, so i bought 859220021 instead - currently £25.49 (before discounts).

2) The note about the retaining springs is spot on. There seems to be no way to insert the retaining spring in the new struts, so I also opted for the paperclip method, though this was not without difficulty.

After I fitted the first one, I closed the boot to test it, and the seals burst the very first time! :doh:. Oil and gas bubbling out. :wallbash:. Luckily I had not wasted much time trying to fit the retaining springs - my test was without these.

So, off it came and replaced with the second strut. This turned out to be fine, so I then embarked on the fiddly job of fitting the retaining springs and cursing a lot. Then I gave up and began fitting paperclips instead (whilst still needing the occasional curse!).

So, one side has been replaced, and there is now sufficient lift to hold up the boot. So, I'll get a refund on the faulty one, and enjoy the thought that the job cost half the price!:bannana:

1 person likes this.