2002 E320 CDI No kickdown/flat as a pancake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It look like you might have a heavy foot from what you mentionned on the previous post :p Enough to split the cable :eek:
Hope you get it sorted as its only a cable, easier then the precedent bothers.

hahaha i dont have a heavy foot! :eek:

If the problem partially disappears when you charge the battery have you checked the voltage across the battery terminals? If the battery is a cell down or the alternator output is wrong it will cause all sorts of weird issues. All the readings from sensors the car looks at will be outside the expected parameters.

Check both running and stationary. It ought to be charging at 14 volts or so.

In mine 320 CDI I used MAF from 300TD and car runs better. Still in limp mode (probadly needs reseting) but it does not smoke like it did before which lead to conclusion those two are the same. So if someone in 300TD is looking for MAf - dont have to look for expensive one but can get JUST a sensor that fits 320 CDI as well. :D

Well... I was wrong with previous statement. As it turns out today after swaping into 320CDI MAF sensor... - my limp mode was gone. So I need to sum u again.

300TD vs. 320CDI - MAF`s are different.

there is a common safety issue which sends the car (engine) into limpmode, NO lights come on the dash I.e. check engine light etc...

Some easy fixes & symptoms are:

MAF, (gives dodgy readings)

Vacum hoses on the actuaters of the: turbo, OR EGR valve (that leak)

Intercooler pipes & or other pipes such as turbo boost pipes (that split & then leak)

Gunked up EGR valve (needs a clean)

*Gunked up Inlet manifold flaps, actuator Bar, Port inlet motor (which cause the MAF reading to NOT fluctuate as the ECU orders it to, Causing it to go into saftey mode...)

*Basically this function only starts working when the car or atleast engine is WARM & running temperature... (this means until the car is warm, you will full power & your car will drive normal) Also everytime you turn your car on & off, the saftey mode will reset...

WHEN the cars Warm, the Ecu will try & order the Inlet manifold flaps to WORK, which in turn if they dont, the reading of the MAF & total pressure will not fluctuate according to the EGR valve opening upon the flaps in the inlet manifold, these flaps get GUNKED up Blocked, & the bar that opens & closes them, comes loose in most cases, & the linkage does no longer work, as ordered by the inlet port motor, thats controlled by the ecu...

SO, I hope I have shed enough light on the Emergency mode, engine safety mode, Limp home mode, max 3000rpm, No turbo, Whatever you want to call it....

BASICALLY I am no MECHANIC, well not qualified, & not one that works, LOL!

BUT I am myself a Customer of the same problem, & have the same issue on my c220 cdi...

This issue occurs on all Mercedes diesel engines as far as I am concerned...

I am still learning about the issue...

& IF I have explained anything wrong in the above terminology please let me know also, As I am trying to find Time & confidence to take off my Inlet manifold & see for myself whats going on, & hopefully fixing this issue, ONCE & for all, Without the need of a dealer, (OR a Star unless I really need to) As I will be DIY ing it myself!

I stress AGAIN to Mods, & Admin: PLEASE IF possible CAN we get some sort of STICKY made up, Of this COMMON issue? It would be REALLY helpfull to alot of diesel owners, that are Stuck & dont know WHAT to search for as they dont know WHAT to call the Problem....

I myself Have searched all OLD posts, anything that may have something to do with this issue, Hence feel I know a bit about this saftey mode.. BUT am still educating myself as days go by..

Having a Sticky on this Dreadfull 3000rpm MAX topic would be very Helpfull as far as i can see, What do you recon?

Cheers...

Bit of a turbo diesel noob but suffering the same problem in my 200 w210 e320cdi estate.
Not revving over 3k, unable to build boost. Changed the MAF using genuine MB part, ~£50 form dealer. I not flick between running sweet with boost and then not going above 3k / no boost. Both modes are a bit smoky. When washing it today for the first time ever I noticed soot on the rear of the car by the exhaust.
Anyone able to point me in the direction of the EGR for a clean etc. as mentioned above ? My local non MB garage who looks after my other cars reckons I should get rid. I dont like giving up and really enjoy this car.

TIA

S

Ups... just use search and type "EGR CDI". It will bring you long list but check with first 5-8 threads and that will be sufficent to help you with job.

Hi, I have replaced my MAF and it has partially fixed it, the turbo is kicking in from engine start and 5 mins in it is then limping.

Next piece to tackle is the EGR. I managed to get piece off that is fed by the pipes. It was totally gummed up as was the piece it connected in to which was spring loaded. I cleaned both and ensured that the spring could move.

I think I have only scratched the surface as I have not actually cleaned the EGR as I think I would need to take off the entire manifold to gain access to this. Can anyone shed any light on idea of removing hte three bolts holding the EGR to the manifold and trying to drop it down to gain access to clean / remove it ?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3213[1].jpg
    IMG_3213[1].jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3215[1].jpg
    IMG_3215[1].jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3217[1].jpg
    IMG_3217[1].jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 244
Couple of pics with locations

Attachments

• IMG_3218[1].jpg
    IMG_3218[1].jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3219[1].jpg
    IMG_3219[1].jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 240
Flat performance, no kickdown

A big thanks to all who have posted hints and tips in threads like this. I have just saved myself a shed-load by replacing my S203's MAF myself. Checked out this forum where many others had suffered the same problem as me, pointed in the direction of a faulty MAF. Got it from a main dealer for £64. They admitted that MAF failure is a very common fault and keep them in stock. Fitted in 10 mins. Now my baby performs like she should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom