2002 s600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
£500 for parts / scrap value .

I've seen two S600 coupes in breakers near me ( both now crushed ) and been getting parts for my R129 off a W140 saloon in a yard near me ( also been told of another yard nearby with another two saloons which I haven't seen yet .

The fact that it is a non runner and LHD suggests to me it would have little value here beyond harvesting some parts ( for which the market will be limited ) then weighing in the rest .

For three grand I'd be looking for a runner with MOT .

W220 series are now commonplace in the scrappies , lots of rusty ones about , and many change hands for a few hundred if runners - at that end of the market , some will view the V12 as a liability rather than an asset .

Last edited:
Google 'Mercedes M137 problems' and 'Mercedes ABC problems'. They are bad enough on their own, in one car they are a financial suicide.

Recently saw an X reg s500 on the road- must have been the rustiest car I have seen for a very long time.

Yep , the W220 series seem to be rivalling the W210 series in that respect .

Also , at the bargain basement end of the market , where they now seem to lie , perversely , a S320CDI is almost more desirable than an S500 or S600 , since the likely buyers will be more concerned with fuel economy - notwithstanding the potential for more and bigger repair bills with the CDI engine .

Then , as mentioned , there are things like air suspension , SBC and other potential pitfalls .

I went and looked at this car today !
Reason why it won't run is no compression.

Ran a scan on it and the ECM is clean the owner has wiped it of all relevant faults--BUT--getting into the transmission shows input speed sensor and torque converter speed faults and a lurking overheat.
Prognosis! The car died as a result of overheat--bloody thing glowed in the dark, and the distinct smell of the oil in the crankcase plus old petrol from continual cranking is there like old Au de Cologne!
Right bloody Sherlock I am!

As I interpret it, the car cut out and rolled to the side of the road!
Having a dead engine with the vehicle on the move , the transmission picked up no input speed sensing fault and recorded it in the TCM memory with a cooler overheat .
It has some CAN Bus faults and is on it suspension haunches.

Guy is is now open to offers now that I have picked it apart .
Pretty car not a mark on it in black, and being a local car in a high plains desert its without rust --just dust!
Driving that would make me look like a Russian oligarch or a mid rank eurocrat from Brussels!! OMG the shame!:devil:
I might make him an offer tomorrow and take a chance on being robbed!
Cheers
Tuerca Viejas

Well I am under no illusions on this , I and my crew work on such cars as his every day.

With a take out engine on hand that owes me $1000, I estimate I can make it a runner if I run it through the shop for about $2500. Then with all the other stuff that is likely to be wrong with it adding up to my total estimated cost to make it more or less roadworthy (as it should be) for around another $2000.
Up front cost estimate to fix is going to be $5500.

Car has a value is worth $6500 in its current condition if it was a runner .
So in short it's a 1,000 to 2,000 special.

I might send him a text offering him $1500 for it and hope he isn't offended.

Guy is a tinkerer/hobbyist maybe a Youtube wannabe graduate! He has another BMW X5 series in his garage filling up the space which he asked me about--What do you think the noise is?
Vanos system I quipped. Puzzled my the reply I added Timing chains and guides--Common problem!
They don't call these Bavarian Money Wasters for nothing.:eek:.

I reckon his missus wants the garage space back for her sensible Subaru.
There lies to the secret to getting it for low ball offers.
Appeal to the missus on letting the nice Englishman have the thing. Then I can have my garage space back theory !
Winter is on the way in two months , the snow flies & the Canadian Clipper comes whistling down the front range come mid October.

We will see & thanks for posting the video in filmed in Oklahoma. :cool:
.Tuercas Viejas

Last edited:
Update on this for those interested.
I gave the bloke a low ball offer of $2000.
He's mulling it over!

In the meantime I called friend of mine for more than 25 year who has wrecking yard in town, he is originally from Czech.
Roman got any S600 engines?
Yes, I got a whole car, low miles and a big problem with the rear air suspension. Owner just dropped it off for crushing!
You can have the whole cat for $1800--just tow it out of here!
Taking up too much space, a bit nice to crush!

If the moon and the stars align I might have the whole lot for about $4000 including the tows.
Tuercas Viejas.

Post updates on what you do, has the makings of an interesting story to follow.

"Russian oligarch or a mid rank eurocrat from Brussels"

Suggest thinking head of state and start practicing the gracious wave :)

Post updates on what you do, has the makings of an interesting story to follow.

"Russian oligarch or a mid rank eurocrat from Brussels"

Suggest thinking head of state and start practicing the gracious wave :)

Well David I don't know!
A few years scudding across Spain with my brother and a friend on motorcycles we stopped for fuel and in the fuel station was someone (old money) driving a fine old 1938 Phantom which had broken down.

Having worked on Rollers I fixed it and the owner and his missus both with their top drawer English accents asked:-
Oh Rolls Royce Mechanic?--No diesel and bus mechanic in Venezuela .
Looking puzzled he asked But you know Rolls Royce?
Yes and I sometimes I even work on Mercedes--I like the precision to which I got
Oh slumming it a bit aren't we?

And there lies the rub!--Who has a fancy waive these days driving a Mercedes--Russian oligarchs waving Podradins/Makarovs out the window maybe, even Middle rank Eurocarts I suppose with false delusions of grandeur perhaps! , What a boring lot the latter !

Now a few years back like the 1950's, it was the Rover that caught the eye of the Commonwealth proletariat, & when seeing it from maybe Hong Kong to Jamaica. Tthe car represented the UK Gov the "ER" and High commissioners of lower rank all, from the FCO on Charles St, in LAhndon!

Rolls Royces were reserved for more "august presences" like "Indi-yah" or Washington.

So it was that back in the 1980s I was in Trinidad and sailed a Bertram motor yacht with friends to Tobago, Crown Point are to be exact !

One of my friends was the son of the late high Commissioner for the West Indies and his old cyclops Rover was parked in a beach garage nearby.

Since another friend was joining us by flying into Tobago I got the short straw to pick him up. So I sailed the cruiser's dingy over to the cabin garage, fired up this wonderful old car! BUT I couldn't find light switch!
Screw that I thought!
So I simply rumbled down the track and out on the two lane road heading to Crown Point Reef!

Well it was too far on the trip when a local copper on bike with a white pith helmet & teeth screams out Hey you pinky white man you gonna catch yur ar$e driving dat car with no lights on!
lovely Carib accent !
To which I replied
It doesn't need lights its an English car!--well dats alright den maaan!
Drive careful now!

Having got to the airport in the light I found the lighting switch and my passenger pickup. We set off to return in the dark, car lights ablaze! When I encountered the local copper again standing on the road side with another old drunk an a bike .
As i stopped to pass the time of day he said
Oh you found delights den maan !
Yes i just imported them from England!!:devil:

Is dat so! --can you believe all dis bull$heet from dis Englishman.

With that we all shared a rum shot from an old tin baked bean can with the top cut off as a glass, the drunk was selling shots of Appleton from his bike!

Refreshed we got back to the boat and had a great chuckle about the locals in Crown Point Reef.

You see you couldn't get away with such things driving a Mercedes; but in a majestic Rover or Rolls Royce anything is possible.

Are you really someone with money and political clout or simply an eccentric Englishman riding around in the Commonwealth somewhere.
Definitely not a Russian oligarch or a middle level Brussels Eurocrat for sure--Besides they have no cajones anyway!
Cheers
Tuerca Viejas

"Are you really someone with money and political clout or simply an eccentric Englishman riding around in the Commonwealth somewhere."

Well obviously I'm an eccentric Englishman. But when asleep I could almost pass for normal!

"Are you really someone with money and political clout or simply an eccentric Englishman riding around in the Commonwealth somewhere."

Well obviously I'm an eccentric Englishman. But when asleep I could almost pass for normal!

David
You are right as an Englishman eccentric or not tucked up safely in bed at night.
BUT
As someone in many countries a Mercedes & its badge emblem conjures up images of "the heat"!
The Ton Ton, or Zanu Party henchmen, The Savak , and of course where I lived for more than 6 years supporting British Industry in Saddam Hussein's Iraq.
Yes the secret police cars were black 450's of late 1970's fame.
Army staff cars in Alpine brown, and lower ranks of the Republican Guard had the same but blown over with a dose of matt desert tan!
Good reliable cars--they needed to be!

Back when, when I was there the veritable oasis for ex Pats was the Brit Club in Baghdad. Not only a watering/social hole for Brits but also for all,the other nations including those from Le Continent driving G Wagons .

On one occasion we arranged an international run to Mosul and the Nineva ruins of biblical fame.
Having the next day visited the Souk for the ladies to buy spices, the final stop was to visit a museum full of artifacts and Bas reliefs of ancient Iraq.

When we arrived the guard/custodian was less than friendly telling us to clear off (doing the imshi bit!)

The Germans and Dutch in the group sat glumly in their G wagons were most disappointed and accepting but Brit humour and diplomacy saved the day!
Out of my trusty Land-Rover came the Bluette camping stove and a kettle!
Chai time!
Watching intensively the guard was curious about what I was doing hunkered down at the back of the LR BUT at the sight of the PG tips and boiling water was poured into a Willow Pattern teapot. (Chai Mumatza)

I offered him tea in china cup Inta teshrab shai ? Something to drink !! A terse Lah --No! OK!!!
Then one of the Aussies in his Jeep offered him a fag--Cijireh that did it! And one for later mate--- putting it behind his ear by his beret !

Now the ice was broken he took a camp seat and we took teas hanging his rifle (AK) on the bonnet !
He even could speak some English--plus, he wasn't a Saddam Ba Ath party man and that was why he was relegated to guard and lonely custodian duty. We spoke of his family, children, stupid stuff just like someone might meet at the pub in your town,
Then pointing at the Mercedes badges he related that is the sign of bad men and murderous evil people. (Not us lot I hope!!!:eek:)

Well having convinced him we were quite harmless & friendly the guy warmed up and opened the museum and all got a private showing .

After a few hours we left with courtesy wave, picking his AK off my wing mirror, he got a pack of cold Fosters from the Auzzies, a packet of fags some home made cakes from the Germans --everyone was happy and it proved that not all bad men drive about in Mercedes cars .

P.S--Allah be praised the moon and the stars are in alignment
On the S600 the seller has accepted my $2000 offer--hands to work!
Tuercas Viejas

Car was delivered by tow truck yesterday.

Missus was impressed but prefered her Lexus hybrid.
The funny thing was that in the morning I had to attend a memorial service for one of my Mexican employee's whose mother who died a week earlier and I had to give a eulogy in Spanish. (Did OK)
I then had to go to a MB dealer after the service about a block away to pick up some parts for an urgent a monday morning repair.

Attired in a business suit Fritz the parts counter guys was a bit astonished being more used to me coming by in overalls with my company badge on the pocket.
He blurted out !
Next thing you are going to do Dennis is surprise us by coming in here driving an AMG S class! :bannana:
My missus burst out laughing!! Wots funny said Fritz ????
Dennis has just bought one!!!:eek:
NO! Joking right?
No for real!
You mad old ba$tard :devil:
t/v

Good luck with it Tuercas! Make something lovely.
Making something loverly!!!
Well the car is now in the shop yard.
I got the 42000 mile take out engine (with compression) in the shop (picked it up with the Sprinter shop van for $1000 ) and ordered up some new denso plugs and a serp belt before I bung it in the car!

I suppose the highlight this week was Amy from "Lundun", a 40 years oldish (Brit transplant like me) who brought her Disco in for a service. (Bit of a slim blonde looker!)
OOOwh Dennis where did you get this car from!
Got it cheap Luv!-- Fell off a truck!!!
Call me Arfur Daily !:)

First she sat in the driver's seat then hopped in the back!
I like the seats, nice! She said --Well try the royal wave for me then Luv- On cue perfect wave! Impressive !--Must come from living in the smoke!
What about you Den?
Nah love! I come from a rough ar$ed council house estate in Gloucester --they only give Churchill salutes there !!:)
Take me for a drive when you get it done! Yeh alright!

Then thought it'll have to be on the QT --My pretty one in the back office is already saying she fancies me more than the bloody car!
Women!
Be in touch when its a runner.
Tuercas viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom