2003 ml270 heater/motor mysterious noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rony2rip

Car
ML 280CDI 4matic
Hello all,

Has anyone experienced the strange unpredictable heating motor/ Air conditioning pump, loud whirring noise that starts without notice when the engine is running. It would appear to be in or below the centre console area between the front and back seats if you know what I mean.

Do these cars have some sort of heat booster or space heater that anyone knows about? Any help will be welcome, I cannot figure out where the noise originates from or what it is supposed to be doing, ie it doesn't produce any extra heat and as I've already said is totally UNPREDICTABLE.

Mysterious whirring noise on ml

It may be a cooling fan for the ECU,located on the front left hand side of the vehicle and underneath the wiring loom which is under a big black plastic box for the ECU and relays are.

Not difficult to access if you move the loom aside and see a black snail shaped plastic device with an electric motor attached to it.A weak point on the MLs.-I had the fuel-guzzling ML320!,what a monster drinker!

Replacements are around £130.00 from MB,but you can make your own!!!

Just replace the 12 V electric motor from Maplins after havingtaken out the unit and seperated the clipped- on halves of the cover.Make sure that you take the motor to Maplins for them to match it for you.Cost; less than a tenner!
Good luck .

luckyducky said:
It may be a cooling fan for the ECU,located on the front left hand side of the vehicle and underneath the wiring loom which is under a big black plastic box for the ECU and relays are. Not difficult to access if you move the loom aside and see a black snail shaped plastic device with an electric motor attached to it.A weak point on the MLs.-I had the fuel-guzzling ML320!,what a monster drinker! Replacements are around £130.00 from MB,but you can make your own!!! Just replace the 12 V electric motor from Maplins after havingtaken out the unit and seperated the clipped- on halves of the cover.Make sure that you take the motor to Maplins for them to match it for you.Cost; less than a tenner! Good luck .[/QUOTE

No, the sound comes from the console between the front and rear seats, and sounds like a heater fan at full power. It comes on totally at will and goes off again just the same. No hot or cold air is produced.

[/QUOTE No, the sound comes from the console between the front and rear seats, and sounds like a heater fan at full power. It comes on totally at will and goes off again just the same. No hot or cold air is produced.[/QUOTE]

Air con controls at rear of centre console set to auto, for rear seat area??? On, off, on off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom