2003 W168 A210 - ESP/BAS and ABS lights on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyNokia

Car
Mercedes A210
Hey guys, the combination stalk on my A210 couldn't flash the headlight, so ordered one from Euro's, took to a local garage to fit, and now the bloody ESP/BAS AND the ABS lights are both on. The guy that fitted the stalk disconnected the battery prior to disassembling the steering wheel, fitted the stalk, checked all things worked ok, and gave me the key back. I started the car and both the ESP/BAS and ABS lights were on, and these were on before when I changed the battery, and was told to drive the car for a couple of miles to tell the car it was ok, this time however, I drove the car the lights stayed on. I took the car back to the garage, told them, and it still there now. Car had stalk done on Thursday lunchtime.

They've already tried disconnect the battery twice more but still both lights are still on, plugged in their diagnostic tool, and it says the faults cannot be erased!?!?!? Any ideas?

You could try turning the steering from lock to lock to see if this will clear it.

You dont know what the faults codes stored in it.

Hi, had to call the local airbag/systems diagnostics guy out. He said because the indicator stalk was removed, the alignment sensor inside was out of alignment when the new stalk was fitted, he said thes ensor's had to be within certain perameters to not set off any warning lights, therefore causing the ESP/BAS and ABS lights to light up. He had to do a reset with his diagnostic system tool thing, take the car out for a drive and now all done.

Really?!?!?! Why can't Mercs be like normal cars where you change a simple item, suchas say.. I don't know, and indicator stalk and go. So many bloody sensors and needless things that cost people money to set right.

The garage guy tried turning the wheel full lock to lock last week when he first fitted the stalk, but obviously that didn't work.

They are like normal cars.

I expect the ignition was turned on or the steering wheel was put back in the wrong place. They are just plug and play parts.

Ignition was off, and the wheel was straight. The guy who did it had done one last year, also on an A class, but had no lights come on. Even the airbag man whilst on his diag machine, said to me these later Mercs are nightmares. The first time he came across this problem took him over 3 hours to figure out what the problem was, now it takes less than 15 mins to rectify now he knows what to look for.

He DID remove the airbag from the steering wheel, but did NOT remove the wheel itself tho, so obviously the wheel was in the correct spline position. Didn't see exactly what he was doing, didn't want to disturb him too much or distract him. He even drove the car out of the parking lot returning with straight wheel, with the airbag OFF the steering wheel!

Well, now there are no lights on on the dash. For now. I've owned this car for over a month now, and I myself have actually only driven it twice, the garage guys have been in it more than me!!

Did you try the lock to lock process i said about.

I get a feeling he was trying make it look like he was doing more work than he actually was. As there was no need to take the airbag back out for an esp/bas fault.

If he was going to check anything he would have had to take the steering wheel off to see the angle sensor etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom