2003 w203 illumination question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c13tay

Car
c200 diesel estate avantgarde SE
Should my 2003 c class have illuminated vent thumb wheels ..?

They look as if they should be ..... The white markings are white plastic inset into the black wheels rather than just printed on.

Obviously, the reason for this post is that none of mine light up. .

Thanks

Chris

Some 203 do, some don't. Mine didn't but another member's did. I could find nothing in WIS/EPC to explain why! No mention of bulbs, wiring...nothing :confused:

c13tay said:
Should my 2003 c class have illuminated vent thumb wheels ..? They look as if they should be ..... The white markings are white plastic inset into the black wheels rather than just printed on. Obviously, the reason for this post is that none of mine light up. . Thanks Chris

The vent thumb wheels in my 2003 C32 light up, front and rear if that's any help!

My Avantgarde didn't...

I couldn't find any differences in the vents/wiring between 580 and 581 optioned vehicles. An acquaintance with 581 didn't have illumination whilst another did..

There seems no logic to it, wrt EU spec cars anyway..

My previous 2003 C-coupe (CL203) vent wheels did not illuminate

Well mine is an avantgarde s and none light up but look as if they should by the way they are constructed.

Is it easy enough to take a vent out to have a look?

Either mine don't light up, a fuse has gone or all the bulbs or leds have gone!!

Might be totally not related but when I bought the car there were 5 little leds on black plugs in the astray..... Could they be from the vents????

Chris

Mine don't light up either.

This video shows how to remove the centre vents. It's actually about removing the radio, but the centre vents have to be removed to do that. The vent removal is towards the end of the video and there isn't a light in the one he's working on, no electrics to disconnect. (Best watched in full screen).

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=pyDm3S2hnEU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Im afraid that Mercedes keeps cutting cost in countries where people dont ask for specific options.

I have never heard of option 581 without dashboard illumination on the vents. Thats probably the cheapest cost cutting I ever heard.

So the new hypothesis is that it was removed after a certain date from the design

I got my illuminated vents from MBENZNL about 5 years ago. I purchase the dashboard harness for 581 + Keyless Go from Mercedes.

Well I'll take one out and have a look. If they don't, they don't..... But it would be a shame.... Don't know why but there is something I like about little touches like thumb wheels lighting up....... Sad I know

Thanks for the replys

Chris

Not sad at all, I have illuminated thumbwheels etc in my CLS and it just adds that little extra to the interior during darkness. Along with the ambient lighting it just relieves to total blackness...

If that makes sense :eek:

Total sense!!

The wheels were obviously designed to illuminate even if the car isn't fitted with the cabling etc...

Wonder how hard a retro fit would be.......

Chris

Illuminated vent thumbwheels is on cars with the full climate control with the digital display, the half ****d standard system doesn't have it.

When you take the vents out the rear of the thumbwheels are hollow, so it wouldn't take much to stick an led behind them and wire them into the ashtray light. I'm an automotive electrician, so If I get time I will see what's involved and how easy it will be.

Cheers Dennis

That would be great

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom