2004 W220 S55 AMG - lost my keyless card

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Supercharger

Car
W221 S600 V12 Bi-Turbo
Hello all

As the title suggests, iv lost the keyless entry card for my car :doh:. Using the key seems so prehistoric now :eek:

But i wanted to get a replacement from the likes of ebay, just wanted to know what the deal is with them being programmed to the car?

I know its a dealer only job, or atleast someone with a Star Machine, but there seems to be a few different kind of key cards out there even though they look the same. Something to do with the FCC ID matching on the back of my key card to the one im about to purchase. Unfortunately i have no way of knowing what the FCC number on the back of mine was :(

Any help/suggestions in getting another key card, preferably not from the dealers?

Cards are NLA when I asked earlier this year.

You can only get the keyless go keys now. Available only from the dealer as a brand new key at around £200.

Cards are NLA when I asked earlier this year.

You can only get the keyless go keys now. Available only from the dealer as a brand new key at around £200.

Would a keyless Go key work with this car, seeing as it originally came with 2 keys and a Keyless Card?

Also, if the cards are no longer available, then would a card from another car work, or be able to be re-programmed to this car?

Thanks

Yes the key works as a replacement for the card.

No, cards cannot be reprogrammed by anyone currently.

Normal smart keys can be recoded with a little modification but the keyless go smart keys cannot, having chatted to 5 or 6 guys who do key reprogramming for a living.

Yes the key works as a replacement for the card.

No, cards cannot be reprogrammed by anyone currently.

Normal smart keys can be recoded with a little modification but the keyless go smart keys cannot, having chatted to 5 or 6 guys who do key reprogramming for a living.

This is kinda getting confusing now as to how many different types of cards and keys are out there.

If you dont mind me asking, im assuming you asked the dealers as you have also lost yours (or its stopped working), but did you get a replacement/alternative for your car?

There are 3 basic types of keys. Each type has slight variations over the years but essentially the same thing.

Normal smart key which you have to press the buttons on. No keyless functions. Standard smart key used across all models

Keyless go key card.
As you have pictured. Has keyless functionality.

Keyless go smart key.
Has functionality of both the card and the smart key. Works in the ignition or can be used in the pocket as well.

My key was intermittent for a while. I asked the dealers about replacements and they told me the card version is NLA.

My options were reduced to a standard key without keyless functionality or one with it. The key without keyless feature comes pre programmed and works out of the box with your car. No programming necessary.

The keyless go key works as a normal key without programming but if you want to utilise the keyless go features on top of that then the key has to be "paired" to the car whilst on star.

The keyless go key works as a normal key without programming but if you want to utilise the keyless go features on top of that then the key has to be "paired" to the car whilst on star.

Right, this is what i might have to get them to do then, as my keyless card was for keyless entry and keyless go as well. Basically i just kept it in my pocket the whole time.

That was what my original question was about in the first place, that if i get another key card (as pictured) from ebay then could someone pair it to my car as it would already be paired to another car.

The card has one time programming to a single car. It can't be wiped and paired to a different car.

The card has one time programming to a single car. It can't be wiped and paired to a different car.

Dam it! :mad:

Let see what options the dealer can provide in the next few days.

Just been down to the dealers.

Unfortunately the ebay ones are next to useless as they can only be paired/programmed once.

However, the computer showed 4 in stock, at £201 each. Pairing it up will be "about" another £60-70 off the top of his head.

Is that stock in MK or Germany?
I wonder why my dealer didn't see it unless some stock has reappeared somewhere in the chain.

Thats 4 left in Germany.

I even asked him wether it was the original key card, or wether it was the new chrome type key with the keyless go feature, he confirmed it was the original square cards.

The only thing he wanted to confirm was wether the card had the metal key embedded on the side of it, which im sure mine did not, in which case its the right card.

I was told that a new KG key would not operate the KG on a car that was originally supplied with KG cards.

Thats what i would have thought as well.

But to be honest there are a lot of options on these cars and the people on the parts/service desk are just . . . . . well, people. Just because they work there doesnt mean they know everything about your car. One of the main reasons why i dont get any work done at main dealers.

+1

I did not get the card with my car when i got it - it was lost by the previous owner. I had enquired at my local dealer lately and they said the cards are no longer available and that the key with keyless go function would work with it. So after reading all these posts i am not to sure now!

The key does work with cars that originally had the card.
We've done it. We did the Star pairing sequence ourselves. It was very easy.

V12 said:
The key does work with cars that originally had the card. We've done it. We did the Star pairing sequence ourselves. It was very easy.

Cheers that is good to know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom