2005 W203 C180K Hard to start runs rough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corrs2112

Car
Mercedes W203 C180K 2005
Hello, firstly this is my second post so be gentle and apologies for the following, long winded explanation.

I have a 2005 W203 C180K, I bought it at auction and there were a few problems, as to be expected!

I have changed the following, Alternator (MB) & Battery because of light sensor and generator error.

MAF (mid generic model), Plugs, Breather hoses and non return valve under air box on the side of the block, fuel filter (MANN) fuel pump (BOSCH) r/h of tank, fuel level thing with hoses and electrics (PIERBURG) l/h of tank, I also changed the short fuel hoses from under the rear seat to the fuel filter for generic fuel injection hose as the ones in place were perished, all changed because it was running bad, but 'did' start ok.

I also cleaned out the intercooler, front resonator the air box and the silencer/resonator under the air box to the rear right of the engine bay, breather hose from air box behind MAF to top of engine as this was all full of oil or carbon, no oil in cam sensor plugs and none along the loom or in the ECU connectors.

Also a service, oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs.

So after doing all of this I have it running OK but not 100% IMO. So it sits and ticks over while I give it a clean etc, revs up fine no apparent problems except every so often I hear the throttle body butterfly slap shut, I take it up the road, it gets 100 yards and I have no throttle, its stuck at around 1500rpm, I pull over, turn off the key, restart and off I go again (idle now normal) for another 100 yards or so until I have no throttle again. So I get it home eventually, I am a little curious why no engine check light, after some investigation I find it is taped over in the binnacle, leave it overnight, start it the next morning, which now for some reason takes effort, to the point it almost immediately sounds like a flat battery, third turn of the key it immediately starts like there is no problem, I take it out, drive 8 miles with no problem apart from a speedtronic error when I adjust the speed on the cruise sontrol, I get home and turn off the key, immediately try to start it and it struggles again, starts third time, no check light at this point, I start it about an hour later, hard to get going and needs throttle to the floor, check light comes on almost immediately, runs slightly up and down, hard to start now when cold or warm, but other times starts first off no problem.

Today I have a chap round with three different code readers / tools, after clearing a whole load of errors, resetting all codes,:dk: two come back up immediately, we are left with P2009 and P200A, these appear to be faults relating to bad earth on the MAF? Can anyone shed any light on where to look next, the chap who looked today said when it is running it sounds like there is an air leak somewhere, but this may not show up on the fault codes?

Just under the air box towards the front, is an approx 12mm diameter rubber pipe about 10" long which splits and causes rough idling and a lean mixture. Just had mine replaced today. Might be a suspect for you to look at. My tame Merc man said they go so often he keeps a stock of them.

Just under the air box towards the front, is an approx 12mm diameter rubber pipe about 10" long which splits and causes rough idling and a lean mixture. Just had mine replaced today. Might be a suspect for you to look at. My tame Merc man said they go so often he keeps a stock of them.
Hi, yes I have replaced the hose set under there with these >> Genuine Mercedes-Benz OM271 Engine Crankcase Breather Hoses & Check Valve NEW | eBay

Is that the same?

Yes mate, the longer one had split on mine. Having sorted that you've eliminated my suspect straight away. Can't really suggest anything else mate, sorry.

Any thoughts on this anyone? anywhere else obvious to look for an air leak please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom