2007 A Class - Doors won't unlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garycat

Car
2014 C Class 220CDI Coupe
My dad's A class doors won't unlock, with the plipper or even with the physical key. It can't be the weather as they have had plenty time to defrost.

Its a 3 door and the passenger door and boot are also locked shut.

Any ideas, apart from opening it with a half-brick?

Get some penetrating fluid into the door locks and keep trying the metal key.

Have you tried a short squirt of silicone spray into the lock, and use the metal key again?

Ha-ha ... keep forgetting to refresh a thread before posting :rolleyes:

Mercedes have said that the battery is flat, and that is causing the problem. So why doesn't the physical key work?

I have to admit, I never tried it myself, but I seem to remember there was some, less than logical, way to use the metal blade key - something to do with pulling handle before or after, doing this and that - I have to look it up.

Found it - on Lofty's DVD I bought a while ago (website seems to be down):

Essentially, turn the key clockwise, pull the handle, release the handle, return the key to initial position and remove, then pull the handle to open the door.
The alarm will sound, insert the key fob into ignition to stop it. Like I said - less than logical.

Here - I uploaded it to WeTransfer for you:

MOV06167.MPG (courtesy of Albert Rowe, aka Lofty)

:)

PS And just as I've done it, the website is up and running again:

aclassinfo.co.uk/page.4.169.htm

Last edited:
Found it - on Lofty's DVD I bought a while ago (website seems to be down):

Essentially, turn the key clockwise, pull the handle, release the handle, return the key to initial position and remove, then pull the handle to open the door.
The alarm will sound, insert the key fob into ignition to stop it. Like I said - less than logical.

Thanks for the tip. I've just spoken to my Dad and the garage tried that but it didn't work, so they jacked it up, connected a booster to the alternator from underneath and managed to get enough power into it to open the door. The battery (which is only 2 years old) was showing 6 volts.

Reactions: GLK
Great, glad it got sorted.

That is a serious battery deterioration - it would be wise, I think to check for anything draining it - not easy to get that low, even if stood for a year ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom