2008 E320CDi Estate max payload

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markssl

Does anyone know what the maximum carrying capacity is in kgs please. It's the 7 seat model with self levelling suspension.
I want to move 180 engineering bricks. Each one is 2.53kgs. So less than 500kgs. I thought I read somewhere it was 600kgs max.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's listed on the data plate on the driver's door pillar, well you can calculate it from the info listed

First principles / two journeys

I thought that the payload is written on the door pillar of the car?

But two thoughts come to mind.

You know that any E class can carry five normal chubby German men and their luggage. So that's five times 100kg + 20kg = 600kgs. As the car is sold into the American market, assume that 5x120+20kg would also be an expected loading.

And remember that a full fuel tank is another 65 kgs (65 litres)

Having said that, is there any scope to do two journeys rather than just one? Even if it's within capability, it would be less stressful for the car to handle the job as two separate runs. (Apologies if that's stupid question, but I'm just trying to think around ways of easing the load)

Anything it might say in the handbook will be very conservative , even so I've heard a figure of 2 metric tonnes mentioned and I know of a friend who loaded the V8 , complete with gearbox , out of a 560SEL , along with an engine crane and a pile of other parts , into his W124 300D estate . The car sat up level throughout the journey from Ardrossan to London .

I've also known another friend , who had the load area protector , who filled the back of his with soil for his garden , again no problems .

While there are hard plastic load area protectors for both seats up and seats down , I'd say line your load area with old carpets and you'd be fine .

Mind you , that sort of thing is what my trailer is for .

Thanks for the replies. It needs to go in one load really as it's a 100 mile journey. I can put most of the weight in the middle of the car and evenly spread it to help.

The only thing I might add is that in the event of an unforeseen emergency , a load of bricks could become lethal projectiles - at the very least put up the load net behind the front seats .

If possible , tie down a tarpaulin or similar over them to the load anchor points , just to afford yourself some protection .

Don't suppose you have a towbar on your car ? Putting all or some of the bricks in a trailer would be by far the best option .

Since you're taking them 100 miles - unless you already have these bricks - could you order them from a supplier nearer the destination , and have them delivered to site ?

Final option - rather than risk damage to the inside of your car - would hiring a small van be a better option ?

Transported all the bricks today no problem. Had them evenly spread forward of the rear wheels. Once the suspension had pumped back up the car drove just like it does with 7 people. This car never ceases to amaze the hell out of me!!!
Thanks again for all the advice!

A good S211 is one hell of a car. Really miss the all round capabilities of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom