201 tacho feed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Got a bit of a problem here and not being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electrics, thought I would ask here. Got a 2.6 190E that has no rev counter. Changed the cluster for a known good one, still no rev counter. So, thinking to myself, where is it fed from? Any pointers guys and gals?

Hi

This is just a guess but might help you investigate..........

On older petrol cars (not MB) the tacho gets its feed from the LV side of the ignition coil. This gives the pulsed feed, the only other thing the rev counter needs is a switched live and earth. MB's could be similar

If 124 diesels loose the tacho it can be the rpm sensor or the ovp or ovp fuse.

Hope this helps

Think the signal comes from the EZL ignition unit on the wing via the diagnostic socket so if you look for a wire connection that goes from the EZL to the diagnostic socket and then loops onwards???

Ian

Did you get it sorted?????

Ian

Did you get it sorted?????

Not yet mate. Having a personal week from hell. Daughter rushed into hospital and is on morphine 24/7.

Hi

This is just a guess but might help you investigate..........

On older petrol cars (not MB) the tacho gets its feed from the LV side of the ignition coil. This gives the pulsed feed, the only other thing the rev counter needs is a switched live and earth. MB's could be similar

If 124 diesels loose the tacho it can be the rpm sensor or the ovp or ovp fuse.

Hope this helps

Earth side of the coil, if you connect it to the live side it gets a constant feed from the battery when you turn the ignition on.

Hi

Thanks for clarifying that, i wasnt specific enough by just saying the LV side of the coil. Just didnt want anyone conecting to the HV side of the coil:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom