2011 E class steering wheel lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Filipov

SUPPORTER
Car
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello all,

Just to quickly ask, is the E class meant to have a steering wheel lock? You know, the one that automatically engages when you take the key out and disengages when key is back in? Mine seems to be missing that if it should be there. It is a 2011 saloon.

Many thanks

Yes it should. If it has failed at some point it may have an emulator to bypass it which is much cheaper than a new ESL

Thanks for that, thought as much. Are there any simple bits I can look at myself? Maybe fuses etc? Nothing too technical as I am not keen on taking the dash apart or something of that sort and the car under used approved warranty anyway, but dealership said it does not have steering wheel lock.

My 2008 E class has a steering wheel lock am sure yours should have one !

I thought as much as my 2007 CLS had it as well. Hard to believe they will remove it for the sake of it.

I'm having exactly this issue. Just bought the car second hand a week ago (no dealer support available if it was applicable).
Didn't think to even check this, but now living with the car daily, I've noticed that the steering lock has never engaged like it used to on my w203 when the key was removed, and retracted when key inserted.

Is it possible that my late 2011 W212 E350 CDI doesn't have this steering lock feature?
In the data card, it lists a couple of heightened theft protection codes.

I've found quite a few posts from people who either don't ever recall it having had this feature, or having noticed it has stopped:
R231 Steering Lock
MOT steering lock failure
2009 ML 350 steering lock
Removing esl in unlocked position

Also found this UK company that might be able to help:
Mercedes Electronic Steering Lock Problem W204/W207/W212

I've also found this YouTube vid that explains. If I do have faulty ESL/motor, I'd try removing it without taking the steering wheel off, as it's stuck in the unlocked position:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just wondering if, because the car has an immobiliser, and because it is the electronic steering column gear shift, it might not actually have one. Seems there might be an MOT exemption to allow cars not to have steering locks if they meet certain criteria?

"It is acceptable for a steering lock to be missing or inoperative provided the vehicle has an engine immobiliser, or permanently installed immobilisation device which acts on either the steering, brakes or the transmission"

As i have an electrical adjustable steering column, it would appear that it doesnt have a steering lock

Having slept on this, I've put my VIN into the online parts catalogue, which I believe means the catalogue will only show me parts applicable to my vehicle. (If you navigate by manufacturer, vehicle model, then it will show all part numbers, variants and options)

When I navigate to Chassis>Steering>Steering Column, I can see the ESL as part number 200, and the retaining nut as number 210, but they are not listed as actual part numbers. I think this is a good way to check if you have a physical ESL or not. This is good news for me, as I was wondering if I might have to do the motor swap job.

STEERG.COLUMN JACKET TUBE & STEERG. SHAFT MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

Seems a reasonable assumption. When I check mine on the online parts catalogue, the part number for the ESL is shown and I do have a steering lock.

What a blessing you have to be without a failure prone part.

My 2012 W212 also does not have an ESL according to my VIN, but does have a clutch control module for the power steering lock apparently.
I have issues with a dead dashboard, no sound when inserting key, but spare key starting the car just fine. The old key started working and then failed again today after 2 weeks. Spare key now being used.
I have a chap coming out to fix the motor in the ESL, but if I have no ESL what could the problem be?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom