2015 E63 Estate - 1 Week in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Prawn

Car
E63 AMG Estate
Hi Guys,

1 Week in with my E63 W212 Estate so thought I would put down some thoughts and introduce myself a bit more.

I spent many years in Audi's S4 and RS4's (this was the 2.7 days), spent stupid money tuning them (see banana bullet threads on RS246) up to 500 + BHP / 480 lb/ft +, then moved to Porsche with a 996 X50 turbo.

The E63 bug was always in the background and when Mrs Prawn suggested rather strongly that I got a sensible car that we could get the dog and luggage in the moment seemed to be perfect.

I spent a good few months looking and missed a few while I thought about the change, eventually getting the Designo Diamond White beauty that I picked up last Wednesday.

Looking at the spec I think all of the boxes except the LSD were ticked (that is on the list to sort out with Quaife, when's the next group buy?) so full loaded.

First impressions are that the car is awesome, for such a large car it seems to shrink around you when driving.
Compared to the Porsche I prefer it in all areas (with the possible exception of wet weather grip) and find it much more of an event to drive every time I get in.

The front end grip is amazing for a car of this size and makes the Audis seem very soft and uninvolving.
The sound is amazing, especially coming from a 911 turbo that always sounded like a demented swarm of bee's were chasing you.
Although a sleeper I have had more comment / conversations about the E63 in the last week than I had in 4 years with the Porsche, people just seem to love the car.

Hopefully I will post a few more thoughts in the future, this is just a quick first impression, look forward to discussing all the issues / joys in the next few months.

Prawn

Nice little read mate and really glad you're enjoying AMG ownership and hopefully I'll be joining you all soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice mate, i'm waiting to step into one also, just need to shift my M4 before I can do anything!!

This is exactly how i see things.

As per my other posts on another thread, it just feels amazing, its like a jack of all trades alright it doesnt do everything perfect but it makes a damn good go of every single one.
Its practical, easy to park.. it doesnt feel big, the steering is both very intensive during hard driving but finger loose when your parking round town... but even though its light it still has feedback.

The engine is a dream, its so torquey and easy to use the entire rev range, the gearbox is capable and doesnt get confused to easily with gears.
My only gripe is the slow paced gear changes but this is limited to the MCT boxes which is a shame but such is life.
Comfort factor is insane, it just oodles class and i too have had more conversations about the E63 than the RS6, GTR.
The styling is bang on to me, Merc really have gotten modern styling of to a fine art.
My biggest fault with the car is the soft as butter wheels and the terribly small brakes for such a big heavy powerful car.

But honestly it is by far the most fun i've had, having covered 10k miles in just over 3 months (3000 miles abroad in Austria/Worthersee and round the Ring) i can honestly say i love the thing with all my heart, it has so much character and Soul.
You really do feel like your riding up on top of the waves when you drive the Merc.

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting from them? I currently average about 28mpg from my M4 but far far less in the C63 PPP I had prior, I imagine it to be somewhere in between? (low 20's?)? I normally only do shorter runs tbh.

Would an MSL remap improve consumption?

Prawn.

They are unbelieveable cars. I have the saloon , but , hey, same car.
Like a lot of other owners, we have all come from 911, RS4, GTR, etc etc...and even C63 !! I cannot put my finger on what makes these feel so special. I am 5 months in and EVERY trip, long or short just feels Epic. There is NOTHING out there that even remotely makes me want to change, especially in this price bracket.

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting from them? I currently average about 28mpg from my M4 but far far less in the C63 PPP I had prior, I imagine it to be somewhere in between? (low 20's?)? I normally only do shorter runs tbh.

Would an MSL remap improve consumption?
Over 20k miles, mine has averaged a shade under 24mpg. Short runs only would see high teens / low 20's.

It's one hell of a car.

Ours has been replaced a by a new C63 but .... we're looking for a last of the line one possibly as it's just that good.

Prawn.

They are unbelieveable cars. I have the saloon , but , hey, same car.
Like a lot of other owners, we have all come from 911, RS4, GTR, etc etc...and even C63 !! I cannot put my finger on what makes these feel so special. I am 5 months in and EVERY trip, long or short just feels Epic. There is NOTHING out there that even remotely makes me want to change, especially in this price bracket.

Nail on the head Steve, thats exactly it! i have the same feeling! every journey is like the first drive, i just love getting in it. the intial roar on cold start and i get excited for my insuing journey.

It's one hell of a car.

Ours has been replaced a by a new C63 but .... we're looking for a last of the line one possibly as it's just that good.

Just how much smaller is the boot on the c vs e?
We adore our e55 but are increasingly hacked off with the fabia vrs estate we use for around and about. I'd like to combine the 2 cars back into one but can't find a solution. A c63 would be one such but not if the boot is significantly smaller.
That and we really don't want to get rid of the e55!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom