2017 Audi S6 Avant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I knew I'd seen that colour somewhere Alan. :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 25
There's a Volvo one that's not far off either.

I looked at over a dozen colours before I settled on this. Mclaren Volcano Orange was close but I have a feeling it was a three part process which Audi won't do.

The Bentley Orange has a real depth to colour and it also changes shade sightly depending on the ambient light. I took Emma to Westfield in London last year and there was a Bentley Flying Spur painted Orange Flame in the Bentley area next to valet parking and it looked awesome. I was sold on it the moment I saw it.

So I'd seen it on a big car and it looked great which made me feel comfortable painting a large Audi Estate car the same colour.

Last edited:
I love the colour, finally somebody who didn't choose a white or grey Audi.

A nice sleeper!

Yikes. McLaren orange (Rocket Red) would have been fab (for me anyhow)

Only pulling your leg anyways Alan. Car looks wonderful. :thumb:

TBH photos never do a car justice no matter how good a camera you use. I'll bet it looks so vibrant in the flesh.

Today's update.

Ed at Divine Detail has the Audi until Tuesday for a new car detail and protection in and out.

The offending chrome on the tailgate had been removed.

Rear%20no%20chrome_zps9gmtcuw1.jpg

Much better.

The first tank of fuel resulted in 18.8mpg with no open road runs. I'm driving to Norfolk and back from Surrey next weekend so it will be interesting to see what the long run return is. I figure lifetime I'm going to be seeing an average of very low 20's which I think is pretty reasonable from a 4 litre V8 petrol.

Having driven this car a few miles now it's growing on me more and more. There really isn't a great deal similar on the road.

Imagine if Mercedes offered the E Class as an estate or saloon with a de-tuned version of the new 4.0L E63 engine, running smaller turbos and a different map producing circa 450-480hp with a double clutch gearbox and 4WD. Then add air suspension and wrap it up in a standard saloon or estate shell with little externally to differentiate it from an E220 diesel, other than maybe some larger wheels to house the brakes and quad exhausts. Make it slightly more comfort focused than "Nurburgring" focused but with the ability to be sporty if you want it. Then they charge £20k to £25K less than the E63AMG.

That's pretty much what the S6 is.

If you lament the lack of an E500 in the UK, which I know is a pretty small market, then this car is a genuine alternative.

Be quick though, if you want a new one the C7 S6 is the last of the breed. The new model Audi S6 due out later this year will be a V6 and will no longer share engine architecture with it's larger RS siblings. There are some pretty good deals to be had with this being an outgoing model.

Last edited:
I guess the closest MB will get to your S6 is the E43 4Matic? Although Not 4 litres nor V8 but nearly the same performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the closest MB will get to you S6 is the E43 4Matic? Although Not 4 litres nor V8 but nearly the same performance?

Sort of, the E43 was the car we intended to buy but it just missed the spot for us. The character is entirely different and it's not just one thing, it's a combination of capacity/cylinder numbers and the way the car is fundamentally set up.

I guess I'm an oddball though, Audi really sell so few of these in the UK, the very same reason MB dropped the E500 saloon and estate and BMW didn't bother with a 550i Touring.

Glad you like it Alan. Don't think you're an oddball at all you just know what you like/want.

We'll be giving our E Class back early next year. Mrs Ant unfortunately getting worse and needs something a little higher up. (Had a B Class which was perfect) not sure what we'll end up with.

Glad you like it Alan. Don't think you're an oddball at all you just know what you like/want.

We'll be giving our E Class back early next year. Mrs Ant unfortunately getting worse and needs something a little higher up. (Had a B Class which was perfect) not sure what we'll end up with.

Sorry to hear that Ant.

I've enjoyed this thread, thanks.

The S6 was on my shortlist a few years back when I was buying, but the newer model was still a bit expensive for me back then and I didn't fancy the older V10 model. I've no regrets with the E500 but mine was just about the last estate that they ever sold in the U.K. So any future replacement will have to be an S6 Avant so I'm glad to hear how great you are finding yours!

You're a bad man Alan, you've got me looking at the Audi AUC site !

That car is so nice. Mercedes actually don't have anything really like it so I understand the logic of you buying it. It's a timeless shape and beautifully made. A good friend of mine has a new RS6- he's got a 991 , Conti etc and he says, the Audi is the best car he has ever had.
We got a 205 C63, it's just a complete animal.

That car is so nice. Mercedes actually don't have anything really like it so I understand the logic of you buying it. It's a timeless shape and beautifully made. A good friend of mine has a new RS6- he's got a 991 , Conti etc and he says, the Audi is the best car he has ever had.
We got a 205 C63, it's just a complete animal.

Ed brought the car back to me today and said he had one of his regulars pop in and see it, a new Porsche 991 owner. He commented that the paint quality on this Audi was better than the Paint to Sample that Porsche offer. It's clearly also a far superior finish to our SL.

It was a 5 month lead time for Exclusive paint to customers specification and we have a feeling these custom orders are painted by people rather than robots.

Also the interior fit is outstanding there's not a single squeak or creek from anywhere. It's by no means the latest in design but the whole car feels so well put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom