2017 W213 E Class Estate(things you should KNOW)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Vodafone Internet in the car is a separate thing, it enables you to create a hot spot for passengers to use and costs a bomb and of little use to the driver.

The W213 has a built in communication module (Hermes) which provides internet connection for internal system use such as Mercedes Me, traffic updates, car to car comms, petrol prices etc. It is worth getting the dealer to check the software version in your car is the latest, mine is ver 20.6 and the current is ver 31.5, I guess the dealers don't both checking this. Apparently it is a simple job of connecting to the computer and press UPDATE it takes 3 minutes.

OK let's debunk some 'fake news' (apparently this is the in-phrase at the moment)

I have had a S213 (E220d Estate AMG Line) since the beginning of November. It has now 9k miles.

1) "you need to be speeding in the UK to use 9th gear"

No you don't. The car will switch happily in to 9th gear, depending on your driving style and chosen driving mode.

I have to agree with petebarrow on this one. My E220d drops into 9th at 73mph. You can just about switch it into 9th manually at 70mph, but as soon as it goes back to 'drive' it drops back to 8th. Once you get into 9th, the slightest touch of the throttle drops it back to 8th again, unless you're doing stupid speeds. The gearing is obviously designed for German driving where higher speeds are permitted. Shame.

Whoa
OK let's debunk some 'fake news' (apparently this is the in-phrase at the moment)

I have had a S213 (E220d Estate AMG Line) since the beginning of November. It has now 9k miles.

No you don't. The car will switch happily in to 9th gear, depending on your driving style and chosen driving mode.
I have tried mine wont go into 9th at 70mph whether it in eco,comfort or sport

2) "you will get just over half of the quoted 62.8mpg figures."

I drive in a reasonably spirited manner, alternating between auto and semi manual, and using the various drive modes. I average 45mpg. I don't hang around. This is borne out by my colleagues. No one has a avg mpg that low.
I do regular 30 mile trips. have tried different speeds and I can only get your sort of mpg at 60ish mph. I am getting similar mpg on a run as I did with the Audi sq5 that ive just got rid of.

3) " if you spec a car with command online. It IS'NT until you purchase a data plan from Vodafone."

Yes it is. You have a range on online services (including Live Traffic, Connect Me etc) that do not rely on the purchase of a separate data plan. You can buy a data plan from Vodafone that gives you 'Internet In The Car'. If you have a good data plan with your 4G mobile then use this instead.
They should tell you this before you buy the car. I normally get in our cars and everything being created as I get in. Does any one know why they have gone this way.

5) no number 4 - you missed it out. "you cannot create a wifi hotspot in the car via the command online system unless you have the data plan."
Even our 2012 Skoda Superb could do it.

Yes you can. You can create one using your 4G enabled mobile phone. I do this.

6) "the internet is really slow using vodafone internet in the car service."

Agree. Vodafone is not a great network.

7) "If you get the non command system you can use your own phone for data."

Sure you can. You can with the COMAND Online version too! Good eh?

8)"In the UK and EU you only get a 3G UTMS system in the command online. In China and the USA you get 4G LTE module."

This is depended on the SIM fitted, not any module. The current 'contract' is with Vodafone and the SIM cards are 3G at the moment.
The 2 Sims are virtual not actual. So to get 4G sims you need a different module all together.

Happy to share my experiences with you further Pete if it would make you any happier with your car.

Whoa there ! Green on Grey. Stop that now.

I drive in a reasonably spirited manner, alternating between auto and semi manual, and using the various drive modes. I average 45mpg. I don't hang around. This is borne out by my colleagues. No one has a avg mpg that low.

3) " if you spec a car with command online. It IS'NT until you purchase a data plan from Vodafone."

Yes it is. You have a range on online services (including Live Traffic, Connect Me etc) that do not rely on the purchase of a separate data plan. You can buy a data plan from Vodafone that gives you 'Internet In The Car'. If you have a good data plan with your 4G mobile then use this instead.

5) no number 4 - you missed it out. "you cannot create a wifi hotspot in the car via the command online system unless you have the data plan."

8)"In the UK and EU you only get a 3G UTMS system in the command online. In China and the USA you get 4G LTE module."

This is depended on the SIM fitted, not any module. The current 'contract' is with Vodafone and the SIM cards are 3G at the moment.

Happy to share my experiences with you further Pete if it would make you any happier with your car.
Nicky - Could you please explain how to do Point 5. I have tried but don’t seem to be able to achieve a connection. Thanks

I've managed to get into 9th severally without much effort, though i think it kicks in at higher stable speeds excess of 60mph.

I dont think i got up to 50mpg whilst driving up from london to aberdeen earlier in the month, though i must add i'm driving an E220 with 27k miles on the clock, in Comfort Mode and not heavy on the throttle at all. Anyone ideas how to get the best?

HI JOCKY, i'm interested in knowing who you got to use your mobile data plan to work the comand online system via hotspot. I've got 100gb data plan and surely would like to share this when in the car for online services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom