210 Model Folding Exterior Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210Virgin

Car
2002 S210 Avantgarde 320CDi in silver. Black leather interior
I'm taking a punt that this is the most appropriate location for this query.

:confused:When washing my 210 (S210) a few weeks back, I accidentally folded the exterior N/S mirror and then folded it back, not giving it a moments thought. Now, when I try to fold it from the interior switch, it stutters and farts a bit and won't fold completely. I've tried to have a fiddle and can find no reset function in the handbook. What am I doing wrong or have I managed to rip the teeth off the little internal motor where it connects to the quadrant gear piece? :wallbash: I haven't managed to get a helper yet to hear if the motor is spinning during a button press, which might confirm this. The button press is hold to fully open or to fully close and is not one touch like some of the later models.

Sit in the passenger seat..and listen.

I will do that today at lunchtime if it is not raining.

Right, checked it just now and the motor is deffo not spinning freely. With a bit of persuasion it will fold and seems happy enough to unfold, suggesting that something is jamming or possibly misaligned. I understood mirrors were supposed to fold (eg on impact with something) and I've never experienced this on the last few cars with folding mirrors. They just seemed to reset and get on with it.

Any suggestions out there, short of taking the mirror off and having a poke about?

I took the mirror out of mine and discovered the reason for the near side not folding as quickly or fully as the os was that the part of the casing holding the motor was broken...so I'll continue not to fold them.:doh:

Took the mirror off and had a good nosey on Staurday. Strange that they're screw fixed from the outside, as they're very easy to steal! However, I discovered that the gear wheel on the little motor is missing teeth where they have sheared off. This means that when spinning the mirror will stop, obviously, when the mech hits a blank spot on the gear. So, short of finding a mirror motor/ internals, it's a bit screwed. Bummer.

Eventually got a replacement mirror from Rob at Three Pointed Star, and not only that, but the one he sent was even the right colour. Unfortunately, because his has probably been sitting around for a while, maybe even folded on the donor car, it was a bit stiff to fold and unfold. Therefore at 2000 last night I made the decision to strip off the old motor and little drive gear gubbins and with a bit of dogged persistence swapped over the gear section onto my own mirror and fired it up. Works a treat. Finished up at 2230ish by the time I had cleared up. These mirrors are brilliantly well made and it's easy to see how they cost hundreds new. It operates at a different speed and I can only conclude that the gearing is a bit different as there were very small differences internally in the mirrors. I suspect the donor was preface lift. It was a bit of a tedious ball ache but was worth doing. :thumb: My mirror was fairly new I think, as all the internals are nice and clean, and even the mounting screws were shiny so I was a bit reluctant to bin it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom