240v - 110v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Off to south america in a couple of days and I've just had a thought:doh:

A lot of their electrickry will be 110v. Whilst I've got an adaptor for american sockets, how does 110v charge mobile phones/ipods/camera batteries/etc.

Does it just take longer or do I need a gadget (which I've now left too late to order from Amazon/ebay)?:dk:

Last edited:
check the really really tiny writing on your adapters to see if they auto-switch between 110v and 240v. Most do.

I find that the writing is so small on these things that I now take a photo of it with my phone and then zoom in to read.

I should probably get glasses I know.

You may find the easiest thing is to buy a suitable power supply brick in the country you are visiting since you have left it so long?

check the really really tiny writing on your adapters to see if they auto-switch between 110v and 240v. Most do.

I find that the writing is so small on these things that I now take a photo of it with my phone and then zoom in to read.

I should probably get glasses I know.

Got glasses!!!
I'll have a look.

edit
just had a look at SWMBO's phone charger - no info
As most of these chargers are mini usb type, was hoping to only take 1 or 2 chargers to cover all devices

Last edited:
it probably has info ... just really really small as I was trying to tell you :D

Most small lightweight chargers and power adapters will work at 110 or 240. So all you need to use is a basic UK to US travel adapter.

Typically you'll see a voltage range (you may need a magnifying glass on some!) of say 100-230 or 85-240. There will be a label or moulded writing on the device.

The heavier 'traditional' ones that contain a traditional transformer are more restricted because they drop the voltage by a fixed ratio using a transformer. The modern little lightweight ones are normally switch mode operation and can be designed to adapt to a wider voltage range because of the way they inherently work.

Just checked my Samsung charger. 100 - 240 volts Input.
Would imagine they are all fairly standard.

Off to south america in a couple of days and I've just had a thought:doh:

A lot of their electrickry will be 110v. Whilst I've got an adaptor for american sockets, how does 110v charge mobile phones/ipods/camera batteries/etc.

Does it just take longer or do I need a gadget (which I've now left too late to order from Amazon/ebay)?:dk:
They all tend to use switch mode power supplies which will usually work for 70vac upwards. I work 6 months a year in the USA, all my UK stuff works fine (laptop, mobiles etc...) yours will be fine too, don't worry.

As above I do both South and North America for 3- 4 months of the year and everything charges fine on 110v all you need is the basic travel adapter :thumb:

Almost certain to work ok, but if you have a problem, just buy a charger while you are abroad. Pretty cheap, and as long as it has a usb socket all your leads should fit

Thanks guys.
I found the small print on one of our adapters so haven't looked any further yet. If I've only got one that should be sufficient as phone will be for emergency use only.

A bit thick here - do things take longer to charge on the lower voltage?

A client once asked me if my power tools were slower because they are all 110v.

No, but they are usually more expensive:doh:

Top tip

Take a 4 gang extension lead and buy a power plug locally. Saves having to have travel adaptor plugs dotted all around the hotel room (which are NEVER where you want them!)

Done this for years and it really is a great idea

If you are near Preston I have a USA wired one you can borrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom