3 weeks into ownership problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay Bhatoa

Car
2020 C Class AMG Premium
Hey guys,

Had my car about 3 weeks and for the last week it's been in the garage because the panoramic roof will not open! They've changed the control motor and still it's getting stuck.. Now they're saying it all needs fully replacing. Is this common?

Also what are my rights. An almost 20k car with issues this close to the purchase date is very disheartening! :-(

Love the car, but not if it'll give me grief.

Car: 63 plate c220 coupe amg sport plus auto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Presumably the dealer is proposing to fix it under guarantee? If so then you need to give a reasonable opportunity to put it right.

Presumably the dealer is proposing to fix it under guarantee? If so then you need to give a reasonable opportunity to put it right.

Yes, I'm letting the dealer sort the issues out now. But it's just the whole thing of it going wrong so soon!

Yes, I'm letting the dealer sort the issues out now. But it's just the whole thing of it going wrong so soon!

You've owned the car three weeks but the car is two or three years old. The previous owner might have never used the sunroof, a car is a massed produced item, things go wrong. Let the dealer fix it ,that might be the only problem you have with the car.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

It could be worth checking out the new consumer law that came into effect last year as they are quite stringent, that's if you are really that annoyed about it. However, as already stated its only the sunroof, if the engine had blew up then fair enough, but I wouldn't be getting too stressed about a sunroof at this point. If they can't fix it after a few attempts then take things further.

OP you are obviously not UK based as if you'd successfully opened the sunroof here recently you'd have flooded the car :)

Hope they fix it soon!

OP you are obviously not UK based as if you'd successfully opened the sunroof here recently you'd have flooded the car :)

Hope they fix it soon!

:doh::doh::doh: I've had the roof down yesterday and today on mine :D:D was cool,but no floods ;) :thumb: ...
If the car is from mb retail you have a 30 day full exchange plan . Not sure regarding Mercedes Benz franchise dealers , but as other have said , let them have reasonable time to repair it and this may be the only visit you need to do apart from servicing fingers crossed , good luck with it all , hope your get it sorted soon

The roof is proving hard to repair, Mercedes have just rang me to say they can't seem to repair it and have asked Mercedes technical for advice! [emoji20] this is ruining the experience of my new car.

Any advice on how to play it?

You get 30 days to reject a car under the new consumer laws, problem is you have to prove the fault was present when you bought the car. The dealer may well reject that stating that they carry out their multi point checks etc, I'm pretty sure most of them don't but that's another story. If you informed them on day one then you can probably reject it, if not then you'll probably have to accept the repair, which to be honest is what I would do, especially if I liked the car.

Thanks for that mate. I'll have a read. Is it correct it Mercedes to say that if I exchange the car then I'll have to refinance the car on a different deal? Such as no dealer contribution because they're not doing the offer now?

I do love the car, but it seems to have MB stumped!

You will have to start the finance again, whether they give you a similar good deal is up to the dealer.

Must say I am surprised. I recently had a lot of problems with my 13 reg coupe and the dealer sorted out the problem for me. Took them 3 go's before it was sorted and they were pleasant throughout. As a dealer they should be able to fix the problem, if not take the car to a different dealer.
I only had my car about 3 weeks when the problem started and thought if I changed the car who is to say I wouldn't be buying another set of problems.
The car now runs brilliantly now

Must say I am surprised. I recently had a lot of problems with my 13 reg coupe and the dealer sorted out the problem for me. Took them 3 go's before it was sorted and they were pleasant throughout. As a dealer they should be able to fix the problem, if not take the car to a different dealer.

I only had my car about 3 weeks when the problem started and thought if I changed the car who is to say I wouldn't be buying another set of problems.

The car now runs brilliantly now

Don't get me wrong, they are trying to fix it but I just feel like they don't have a clue! My 30 days exchange policy ends on the 30th so need to see what they can come up with this week! Ideally if I was to keep it if want an extra year warranty on the car on top of the 12 month given.

Don't get me wrong, they are trying to fix it but I just feel like they don't have a clue! My 30 days exchange policy ends on the 30th so need to see what they can come up with this week!
If a dealer encounters a problem they've never met before it's not unusual for them to consult MB Technical for assistance as it will help everyone get it fixed more quickly and with least effort expended doing the "wrong" thing.

Rather than leaving it until the last minute, why not speak with the Sales Manager tomorrow and explain that you'll be wanting to take advantage of the 30-day exchange policy if the car isn't fixed to your satisfaction by the 30th of the month? That way everyone knows where they stand. The SM may offer an extension to the 30-day limit (if that's what you want), and it will give you an opportunity to express your disappointment and desire for a modest "sweetener" to keep you satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, they are trying to fix it but I just feel like they don't have a clue! My 30 days exchange policy ends on the 30th so need to see what they can come up with this week! Ideally if I was to keep it if want an extra year warranty on the car on top of the 12 month given.

The Mercedes 30 day policy is artificially restrictive in the light of the new 2015 Consumer Rights Act. - You have 6 months (but as it is a new law, it hasn't really been tested yet)

From 30 days to six months

If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it is presumed to have been there from the time of delivery - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time it's up to retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at the time of delivery - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.

No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles where a reasonable reduction may be made for the use you've already had of the vehicle.

If you'd prefer to keep the goods in question you can request an appropriate price reduction.

Cheers for the replies guys. I've have contact with MB head office and also the dealer. The head office have told me to call them once the car is repaired so discuss potential goodwill. The dealer rang me stating that Technical support have suggested to change the guides which are apparently wires? So, that should be done tomorrow.

I have the service manager calling me tomorrow in regards to discussing potential goodwill also and whether or not they can repair it or not! The service manager mentioned that they haven't seen this and this is the 2nd time she's seen it in 16 years (I don't believe that). [emoji58] but we shall see that the outcome is.

Cheers for the replies guys. I've have contact with MB head office and also the dealer. The head office have told me to call them once the car is repaired so discuss potential goodwill. The dealer rang me stating that Technical support have suggested to change the guides which are apparently wires? So, that should be done tomorrow.

I have the service manager calling me tomorrow in regards to discussing potential goodwill also and whether or not they can repair it or not! The service manager mentioned that they haven't seen this and this is the 2nd time she's seen it in 16 years (I don't believe that). [emoji58] but we shall see that the outcome is.

Hi,
If they repair it to your satisfaction - then ask them to give you two free services.
Cheers
Steve

I have to admire your courage for attempting to open the sun roof in January in England,only had one car with a sun roof and never opened it,I think they are meant as a joke to be played on us brits,you never see a car with a sun roof in Florida come to that in the US ,I suppose it was wise to try it as you had just bought the car,I hope the garage fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom