3 years of ownership and found something new !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Well, after three years of ownership I realise that in all that time I have never actually actuated the headlamp washers. Why? Because , it seems , they only actuate after you have depressed the windscreren washer jets 10 times. Yes, 10 times.

Stop the car and it resets ......

And I only managed to find this out by reading the manual, which I confess I never did at the outset.

They covered the whole of the front of the car with foam and will not knowingly be used again ;)

I'm sure that to many here this is old news and I come across as a bit of a dumbass as opposed to the petrol head I thought I was .... Still interesting to find something new about your car after three years - shame its not going to get regular use.

Marc

there is a separate switch for headlight washers near the circular light switch .. you press button to activate the washers any time you like, but the headlights must be on.

I read about the 10 presses of windscreen wash/wipe triggering the h/l washers in the owners manual but I guess mine doesn't have them as the couple of times I tried nothing happened. I don't have a switch for these by the light switch.

It has h/l washer shaped cutouts in the bumper but I guess they must just be blanking plates and not spec'd on my car.

Washers will be fitted if you have xenons (HID) but may not be for halogen headlights. The headlamp washer button isn’t standard on all cars: the 211 deleted it sometime after the facelift.

8 years of ownership and found something new!

So my fav sugar coated sweeties spilled in the glovebox yesterday and when I went to hoover out the mess discovered the wee central shelf pulls out.

Room for even more sweeties :bannana::bannana:

I read about the 10 presses of windscreen wash/wipe triggering the h/l washers in the owners manual but I guess mine doesn't have them as the couple of times I tried nothing happened. I don't have a switch for these by the light switch.

It has h/l washer shaped cutouts in the bumper but I guess they must just be blanking plates and not spec'd on my car.

If the cutouts are there then i'm sure you'll have the function. The motors are probably just siezed up.

there is a separate switch for headlight washers near the circular light switch .. you press button to activate the washers any time you like, but the headlights must be on.

Sadly not, if I'd had a button I'd have pressed it when I got the car ;)

.....but didn't imagine having to press something 10 times .....

But as you rightly say, lights have to be on, for the benefit of those that are now trying .....

I think Sean is used to the luxuries in his 219 CLS - no such button in the newer car.

Could be worse, BMW make you manually switch on the front parking sensor with a button before it activates while parking at low speed - stupid.

S

And I only managed to find this out by reading the manual, which I confess I never did at the outset.

It's not the first time I've read that an owner hasn't read the manual of something as complicated as a modern car, where there are a myriad of innovations on new models.

It seems to be quite common. I wonder what functions other owners are not realising are there?

When I buy a new car I grab the handbook from the dealer and read it before I take delivery as it eases that anticipatory feeling before delivery.

It's not the first time I've read that an owner hasn't read the manual of something as complicated as a modern car, where there are a myriad of innovations on new models.

It seems to be quite common. I wonder what functions other owners are not realising are there?

When I buy a new car I grab the handbook from the dealer and read it before I take delivery as it eases that anticipatory feeling before delivery.

Been there and done that…..on both counts. I would say that we have all found the MB handbooks the most difficult to follow. They just don't seem flow and are not logically laid out so whilst normally I/we would have read the book cover to cover and known all the ins and outs, I/we are doing it gradually and picking things up as we go instead.

I quite like finding new things on the car!...Found an aux jack in the glovebox last weekend:bannana: Just need something to plug in it now!:thumb:

Tony.

Dont need the headlights to be on for them to work. :thumb:

Could be worse, BMW make you manually switch on the front parking sensor with a button before it activates while parking at low speed - stupid.

S
Not sure I agree 100%, as if the sensors are over sensitive, or cover a wider angle than needed for parking, they could be sounding when shuffling in traffic, when not needed.

When I fitted AM fronts to a previous car, I added a switch to use when parking.

V12 said:
How close do you get to the cars in front?!?!
not close enough to trigger the ones on my MB, but the aftermarket set regularly sounded in traffic, and when passing a line of parked cars, hence the switch. Maybe the BM ones would do the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom