300 Petrol unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Can anyone offer advice on the new 2.0l 241bhp turbo unit fitted to the 300 badged cars?

Due to start a new job which is within 3 miles of the house and I'm considering dropping the diesel GLC.

Tried watching reviews of You Tube but all Americans talking trash

Well no comments, in the end I found myself in an Audi dealer with a good deal for a new A4.

That's a shame Jay. Thought you and the GLC really got on?

Ant.

Happytalk73 said:
That's a shame Jay. Thought you and the GLC really got on? Ant.

Ant change in job with a super short commute means the GLC will be a money Pit. I did discuss C300 today but the deals are non existent plus Audi are offering more for my car than the MB dealer

Looks like Mrs Jay will be carrying the MB torch from now on. Look forward to her posts. :D

Jay2512 said:
Well no comments, in the end I found myself in an Audi dealer with a good deal for a new A4.
I hired a brand new A4 in Spain last month. It was smooth, quiet, roomy and did most things very well (other than the stop/start being too enthusiastic and cutting out the engine before the car came to a stop - somewhat disconcerting). But I found it oh so boring. It was a delight to get back in my 4-year old C-Class.

Peter DLM said:
Which A4?

Peter I've been looking at an S-line Avant, in the 2.0 diesel variant. Still need something with a bit of room but also economical

Happytalk73 said:
Looks like Mrs Jay will be carrying the MB torch from now on. Look forward to her posts. :D

Not set in stone yet Ant so anything can happen. I do love Mercedes brand and the spec of my car, however head rules the heart and I need to change it

knighterrant said:
I hired a brand new A4 in Spain last month. It was smooth, quiet, roomy and did most things very well (other than the stop/start being too enthusiastic and cutting out the engine before the car came to a stop - somewhat disconcerting). But I found it oh so boring. It was a delight to get back in my 4-year old C-Class.

Interesting comments, I've got a test drive tomorrow so will see how it goes. If anything I miss my S204...... May have to go and buy one of those again :)

Best car I have owned of the boring variety was an Audi SQ5 I highly recommend it

I'm surprised you said that the deals on C300's are non existent, they shouldn't be any different to any other C Class. The deposit contribution has increased too this quarter. We're always after used GLC's for stock, so feel free to give me a shout if you want some help

JBD said:
I'm surprised you said that the deals on C300's are non existent, they shouldn't be any different to any other C Class. The deposit contribution has increased too this quarter. We're always after used GLC's for stock, so feel free to give me a shout if you want some help

JBD, drop me a PM I'm happy to give you the details of the GLC.

I was told that as the residual value lower on the C300 then this ultimately pushes up the monthly PCP payment when compared to a C250d coupe for instance?

JBD, drop me a PM I'm happy to give you the details of the GLC.

I was told that as the residual value lower on the C300 then this ultimately pushes up the monthly PCP payment when compared to a C250d coupe for instance?

I can have a look at a quote for you today. I'll send you a PM now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did discuss C300 today but the deals are non existent plus Audi are offering more for my car than the MB dealer

It's not just Audi. The difference between what I was offered by three non MB dealers for my old Mondeo and what Listers offered was substantial. The three dealers all offered in the region of £5000 (Stebbings £5000, Motorpoint £4700, Carland £4800) while Listers offered me £3400, which I finally pushed up to £3700 with some haggling.

On selling my C class, Listers and Robinsons offered me around £10,000 (Listers £10,000, Robinsons Kings Lynn £9,500, Robinsons Cambridge £10,000), yet I managed to get £11,500 from an independent dealer (Witham Vehicle Solutions).

I also purchased my CLS from Witham Vehicle Solutions for around £4,000 cheaper than an equivalent vehicle from MB dealer stock.

There are some good deals out there, but not from Mercedes dealers by the looks of it. As for residuals, these only benefit the dealer, and guarantees that what they sell today can be resold at a good value tomorrow. What they offer for a used vehicle can be quite the insult.

I always buy a car for the long term, so what I get back is a bonus, but I would question buying a Merc on lease as it is truly weighted in their favour, while some other manufacturers have a more beneficial package for the consumer or end user.

While I may be a fan of the marque, money does speak louder than words, and if another manufacturer has more favourable terms, then we'd be a fool to ignore them. Have fun in your Audi.

JBD said:
I can have a look at a quote for you today. I'll send you a PM now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've replied JBD.

Well done James, we're all relying on you to keep Jay within our MB family.

Ant.

The 241bhp unit is the same as the SLC300 that we have recently acquired. The SLC is lighter than the GLC so that will make comparisons difficult but in the SLC the main feeling you get is the very torquey nature of this engine. 280lb/ft at 1300rpm! That is more that similar size diesel engines I've owned. Also with the 9spd auto it makes it a pretty quick car. My wife didn't try the SLC43 but that must be quite a drive.

Bluegnomes said:
The 241bhp unit is the same as the SLC300 that we have recently acquired. The SLC is lighter than the GLC so that will make comparisons difficult but in the SLC the main feeling you get is the very torquey nature of this engine. 280lb/ft at 1300rpm! That is more that similar size diesel engines I've owned. Also with the 9spd auto it makes it a pretty quick car. My wife didn't try the SLC43 but that must be quite a drive.

Unfortunately the C300 Coupe only comes with a 7 speed box, and from what I can find on the net & YouTube the engine sounds strained. I've test driven a C200 Coupe and that thing was dire IMO

However I've come to the conclusion to switch brands..... I've got a very good deal with a new Audi and combined with a super low APR the car is 3 numbers less per month than a comparable MB.

Good luck with the A4. The new ones get much better reviews that other slightly older models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom