300SL-24 1991 Vibrating at idle + fuel smell in exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frankst129

Car
R129 300sl 24v
After a long search, I found this article (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/96013-three-years-rough-idle-sl320-r129-v6-m112.html) which describes the symptoms of my car:

- vibrating at idle when engine is warm
- fuel smell in exhaust
- some loss of power at low refs (not sure of this because I've never driven another 300SL)
- I got error 8 on pin 3 (altitude pressure signal from EZL implausible)

The problem occured last year after my car was stored for 2 months.

The reason why I refer to this article is because the author has gone through an enormous effort in trying to fix it without any result (I'm trying to get in contact with him (Darrah1) to get the latest news). I found other articles referring to the same problem but found none with a definitive solution. If anybody can point me to a proven solution for this problem, you will probably save me a lot of money because my next step is to bring to the MB dealership

- rotor, distributor cap, dust cover replaced
- crankshaft pos sensor replaced
- new spark plugs
- vacuum hoses in good shape
- wires in good shape

The engine referred to is not the same as yours

Vibration at idle may be a symptom of collapsed engine mounts. If one (or more) cylinders is missing, look at fuel & spark. In fact, go back to basics - fuel, spark, compression & timing

Fuel smell in the exhaust points to over fuelling or poor combustion so check the spark plugs to see if one is sooty. If so, you are on your way to pinning down the problem

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom