300TE 4Matic Wobbling - Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

In my 30 year old 4-Matic when I am accelerating from a standstill and reach 30mph the car rocks from side to side (like a boat). You can drive through this and it stops at 40mph but will start again as you decelerate to 40 - 30mph.

The 4Matic has:
Zero errors codes.
Been bled and re-bled with the correct Mercedes fluids.
Has no flashing 4-Matic Light.

If I switch off the 4Matic the problem goes away. So it is a front wheel 4-Matic issue.

It has been suggested that it is possible that a drive shaft has been re-fitted out of position in the hub? throwing it out of balance.

Does anybody know if this is possible to do?

Remember these pictures Bruce?
FRONT AXLE HOUSING 1:3,07 4MATIC MERCEDES-BENZ A1243301105 1243301105 A1243301105

and
87F1.jpg

Check out the drive shaft sliding joint on the RHD passenger side. That looks as if designed to iron out drive shaft side to side motion??? Wonder if its sticking? Just guessing DETAILS OF THE JOINT INNARDS SEEN IN THIS VIDEO

https://youtu.be/8jGpNNMmDFU

[YOUTUBE HD]8jGpNNMmDFU[/YOUTUBE HD]

Graeme

Apologies for my tardy response. I am booking the car back in with Andy at Wright Tech to have a look at the front end (as per your post) Andy is an 'expert' on these cars, having served his apprenticeship on them and worked on them for many years,

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this. I will update once we have some news. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom