320 cdi turbo location For inline 6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morzov

I have a 2005 w211 e320 cdi with I6 engine.

I would like to check out the turbo actuator as having jerking symptoms under hard acceleration.

There seems to be lots of info for V6 but I can' t find any suitable photo/video or diagram for my car.

Be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Right hand side of the engine, Below Airbox, Take the airbox out and you will see it.

Right hand side as your sitting from the drivers seat? I presume thats what you mean? If not, as you look at the engine from the front its on the left hand side.
You will see the actuator but the turbo will be mostly hidden under a heat shield that's directly under the airbox.

Right hand side as your sitting from the drivers seat? I presume thats what you mean? If not, as you look at the engine from the front its on the left hand side.
You will see the actuator but the turbo will be mostly hidden under a heat shield that's directly under the airbox.

Yes got a light down there last night and can see the actuator and part of the turbo. Hopefully not too difficult to get to!

Yep right hand side of Car, not left and side of car, Eg Left being left and right being right.

Of course the "below airbox" coulda been a give away??

Rh hand drive vehicle, not left hand drive vehicle :D

Yes got a light down there last night and can see the actuator and part of the turbo. Hopefully not too difficult to get to!

The air box is easy enough to take off, as is the heat shield underneath (if necessary) so that you can gain access easy enough.

Yep right hand side of Car, not left and side of car, Eg Left being left and right being right.

Of course the "below airbox" coulda been a give away??

Rh hand drive vehicle, not left hand drive vehicle :D

I knew what you were talking about.... Just making sure the OP did too :D

The air box is easy enough to take off, as is the heat shield underneath (if necessary) so that you can gain access easy enough.

Air box came out ok but the heatshield not so easy.

A number of securing bolts which are easy enough to remove but one of them is actually on the underside of the shield and very inaccessible.

Also I don't know if it is a torx or a star headed bolt (both are used on the heat shield). I'm guessing its star headed?

I can get see the turbo and actuator by lifting the shield but it's not ideal so I'll have to give some thought how I get to the last retaining bolt!

Hmm to be honest, my knowledge starts to fade here. On my w210 with a similar engine, it just has a few torx bolts holding it on and they are easily accessible. It should only be fairly flimsey metal, can you not bend it slightly to gain enough access, then bend it back again when your done? Not ideal I know, but needs must, and it wont damage it.

It's actually quite a solid piece but rather than spend a lot of time trying to remove I've managed to tie it up giving reasonable access as the picture hopefully shows.

You can see the turbo and just about make out the actuator below - the two bright strips are metal clips on the plastic face of it

The turbo looked pretty clean and the vanes move fine so I'm not really sure what else to do while I've got this access.

Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• merc turbo.jpg
    merc turbo.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom