4 months old and in the body shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenannahCoupe

Car
E350 Coupe 2016
So, my Saturday was going quite well. Visiting a friend of the wife's in Worcester, had a walk round a bite to eat and all was ok with the world.

Sat down back in her house and I here a loud scraping noise, I look out the window and my car is shaking. I get up just in time to see a silver ford ranger going around the corner. I'm out the door to inspect the car and the ford has disappeared, nowhere to be seen and has left his mark.
a4f778aa754fa4129dff73dd68fe2544.jpg

9320adc3a11c757e34603c9310e3e4bd.jpg

I'm fuming at this point of course and cursing. A lady comes running down the road only to explain that the man in the car that had hit mine was her neighbour and suffers from dementia. She is concerned about his safety and others on the road and indeed pavement. The driver was found and had driven into the city walls and severely damaged his car.

My anger had disappeared at this point as the old man is clearly not well and had no malicious intent to leave the scene of an accident. All insurance has been sorted.

So now to my question, my car is booked in to brooklands auto repair in Lincoln. From what I can see they are a chain and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

Secondly with the car only 4 months old can I insist on replacement parts as opposed to a repair job?

Any thoughts welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi...Sorry to hear of your car getting scraped, I personally would insist on a Mercedes dealer carrying out the repair work as the car is so new, you might have to pay more excess for the privilege but I think it would be well worth it in the long run, genuine Mercedes parts and guarantee on workmanship!!

Grober, thank you. I will ring them tomorrow and stipulate a mercedes garage carries out the work.

So, my Saturday was going quite well. Visiting a friend of the wife's in Worcester, had a walk round a bite to eat and all was ok with the world.

Sat down back in her house and I here a loud scraping noise, I look out the window and my car is shaking. I get up just in time to see a silver ford ranger going around the corner. I'm out the door to inspect the car and the ford has disappeared, nowhere to be seen and has left his mark.
a4f778aa754fa4129dff73dd68fe2544.jpg

9320adc3a11c757e34603c9310e3e4bd.jpg

I'm fuming at this point of course and cursing. A lady comes running down the road only to explain that the man in the car that had hit mine was her neighbour and suffers from dementia. She is concerned about his safety and others on the road and indeed pavement. The driver was found and had driven into the city walls and severely damaged his car.

My anger had disappeared at this point as the old man is clearly not well and had no malicious intent to leave the scene of an accident. All insurance has been sorted.

So now to my question, my car is booked in to brooklands auto repair in Lincoln. From what I can see they are a chain and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

Secondly with the car only 4 months old can I insist on replacement parts as opposed to a repair job?

Any thoughts welcome

Sorry to hear this .

While the broken tail lamp will certainly need to be replaced , the panels and the wheel will almost certainly be refinished .

Hi

Feel sorry for you and the poor chap with dementia. My wife has this and she's only 66 and when she was diagnosed 3 years ago, the first thing we were told is that she mustn't drive and to hand back her licence to the DVLA - which we did, as she'd already stopped driving.

With reference to your damage, when my previous S204 was hit outside my house (the chap was decent enough to stop and come to our house to tell us), I insisted with my insurer (LV) on using a MB approved repairer.

The nearest was about 34 miles away but they came out to inspect and collected the car once authorised. As third party liability could not be disputed, LV processed quickly and organised a hire car (nearly new CLS350 - sweet). I also insisted that they do a 4 wheel alignment (Hunter) and reapply the Williams ceramic coating paint protection to the new panels.

The repair (new drivers door and front wing) was completed and they would've delivered but I prefered to go and collect (so if there were any issues, I'd have kept the hire car) and dropped the loaner back to the nearest Enterprise depot.

Very pleased with the repair and service, so hopefully, choosing an approved repairer, you'll get sorted too?

Good luck.
Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with my insurer this morning (admiral) and since that point everything had gone very well.

I have been to Boston Mercedes and they have sent off the estimate. I have had my hire car delivered (e350 not from mercedes) and dropped my car off at Lincoln mercedes awaiting a pickup by Boston tomorrow. I have to say having never claimed in my 20 years driving I found this to be hassle free (with your great advice)

I have since been contacted by Worcester police and asked if I would like to take the matter further regarding a driver who left the scene of an accident. I'm not vindictive and I feel sorry for the gentleman and his family. It would have been a different story if it was a drunk driver or a yob arsing about.

Thank you once again for all your help, I will update on the repair as and when it is complete.

Cheers

It's nice of you not to pursue the poor chap. Let's hope he realises (or the police point out to him) that he is no longer fit to drive and hands back his licence. Good luck with the repairs.

I have sympathy with the old boy - one day it might be me - but from the sound of it, it is imperative that he stops driving. If the only way to achieve that is to take the matter further, that might still be your best course.

Chances are that the old chap's insurers , once they have settled your claim , will encourage him to stop driving .

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with my insurer this morning (admiral) and since that point everything had gone very well.

I have been to Boston Mercedes and they have sent off the estimate. I have had my hire car delivered (e350 not from mercedes) and dropped my car off at Lincoln mercedes awaiting a pickup by Boston tomorrow. I have to say having never claimed in my 20 years driving I found this to be hassle free (with your great advice)

I have since been contacted by Worcester police and asked if I would like to take the matter further regarding a driver who left the scene of an accident. I'm not vindictive and I feel sorry for the gentleman and his family. It would have been a different story if it was a drunk driver or a yob arsing about.

Thank you once again for all your help, I will update on the repair as and when it is complete.

Cheers

While I understand your position, I would consider the safety point around someone driving while not 100%. I would worry me that another error of judgment could end up with far worse. I would hope that the driving licence be consider for removal and ensure he has no access to cars

I know quite a bit about the condition and know how difficult it is.

I agree with you all. Me pressing charges will have no bearing on his license. The police are aware he has dementia and that he was driving, their responsibility surely, not mine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Correct. You are not and should not, be made to feel that you have the moral responsibility in this instance. You are not his keeper or carer and have notified the appropriate people. Removing his license will not stop him from driving, if he is of a mind to do so.

...Removing his license will not stop him from driving, if he is of a mind to do so.

And recently events came to light that underlined the potential seriousness of this situation - already covered on this forum. As long as the Police are aware of the issue - that's the most anyone can reasonably be expected to have done - we can hope that they will take the appropriate actions.

( Here's the link in case anyone hasn't seen it...Bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke admits reckless driving charge - BBC News )

Last edited:
Mercedes Quote has been accepted by my insurer. Boston Mercedes Bodyshop have been excellent. Their advice and ways of making the process smoother has been fantastic.

Total estimate cost is £3670 give or take a few pounds.

They are replacing the alloy, replacing the bumper and more than likely replacing the wing.

Thank you again for your advice on this, appreciated.

Hopefully they won't replace the wing but refinish it unless its badly kinked/stretched . Factory paint and seam sealing always best left original if at all possible.

So the car is back and looking good as new. £3650 total bill. I have to say admiral insurance and mercedes Boston were brilliant the whole way through. Pictures will be uploaded when I get a shot in the light.

Everything was replaced except the wing which was removed, straightened and resprayed.

Considering the accident happened 12 days ago I think that is bloody impressive.

Thanks again for all your advice

I'm very glad it worked out for you in the end :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom