450 SEL 6.9 restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, DM if that's what the owner wants, good on him. Too many people get hung up on costs verses value. Hard to put a price on pleasure and maybe even fulfilling a boyhood dream into the bargain. And also there's so many more positives in having a car rebuilt to one's spec (basically being in control) than buying one that's already been restored.

I dont think its about the money, its about achieving a dream of restoring something like this to its former glory.

The 6.9 will have been a loss leader financially. The Pagoda restore might have the potential to gain some equity but having seen quotes of 9k for new bumpers lights and grill I suspect there will be little wriggle room even at the top end of Pagoda sale prices.

Great thread thanks :) This was the first Benz I went in as a boy! Turned my head forever! Brings back some great memories so thanks for that :)

Ah, DM if that's what the owner wants, good on him. Too many people get hung up on costs verses value. Hard to put a price on pleasure and maybe even fulfilling a boyhood dream into the bargain. And also there's so many more positives in having a car rebuilt to one's spec (basically being in control) than buying one that's already been restored.

I was 50 this year, and have had some bonkers cars over my lifetime. I have raced/rallied/dragstripped etc. For some reason, I always loved the shape of the car I now have, and always dreamed of having one as I "calmed down" a bit.

I bought one this year after much searching. I had to spend over 2K getting the gearbox fixed, and some would say it was not worth it. To me it was, as I aim to keep this car, as my last car, for many years to come. Hopefully it will become a classic?. Probably not, but I do not care. It is the first car in many years where I walk out to it and smile. I even take it for a drive, even if I do not have to go anywhere, just for the sheer pleasure of driving. It brings a smile to my face just sitting in it. Can you put a price on that?
Sometimes dream cars, however odd they appear to others, are just that, and money does not matter.
Some dream cars (from childhood etc) are just not available anymore. If they are, then people who can afford it will pay anything, to re-live the dream. What is wrong with that?
We are all only here once. Enjoy your cars for what they are. Memories, fun, etc. If you do not, get rid of it, and buy something you never want to part with?

Cars can be part of your life, like pets etc?

Neil

I was 50 this year, and have had some bonkers cars over my lifetime. I have raced/rallied/dragstripped etc. For some reason, I always loved the shape of the car I now have, and always dreamed of having one as I "calmed down" a bit.

I bought one this year after much searching. I had to spend over 2K getting the gearbox fixed, and some would say it was not worth it. To me it was, as I aim to keep this car, as my last car, for many years to come. Hopefully it will become a classic?. Probably not, but I do not care. It is the first car in many years where I walk out to it and smile. I even take it for a drive, even if I do not have to go anywhere, just for the sheer pleasure of driving. It brings a smile to my face just sitting in it. Can you put a price on that?
Sometimes dream cars, however odd they appear to others, are just that, and money does not matter.
Some dream cars (from childhood etc) are just not available anymore. If they are, then people who can afford it will pay anything, to re-live the dream. What is wrong with that?
We are all only here once. Enjoy your cars for what they are. Memories, fun, etc. If you do not, get rid of it, and buy something you never want to part with?

Cars can be part of your life, like pets etc?

Neil

Delighted for you :thumb:

If it is a "silly grin" machine, then it's worth every penny spent on it!

In the late 70's I worked for a company who used to armour the 6.9's.

I used to pick them up new in Austria bring them back to the UK then deliver them to the new owners. A great car to drive long distances.

As we seem to be taking a trip down nostalgia lane, in the late 70s I worked as engineer on an Austrian millionaires motor yacht. He had a 450SEL 6.9 and I drove some of his guests to Nice airport in this car along the autoroute. I think I surprised the guests when I felt the golf GTI next to us wasn't showing sufficient respect to a superior vehicle(!) The owner also had an Aston Martin, XK120 and customised Harley (the first motorbike I ever rode!) but that's another story.

In the late 70's I worked for a company who used to armour the 6.9's.

I used to pick them up new in Austria bring them back to the UK then deliver them to the new owners. A great car to drive long distances.

I've always been fascinated by armoured limos, especially the glass. Can you remember how thick it was and was there, apart from thickness, any obvious signs that the glass was armoured?

Had a few goes in this one, what lovely things they are. Suitably jealous of your one!
Mercedes-Benz 450 6.9 4dr | Duncan Hamilton
front-corner.jpg

I've always been fascinated by armoured limos, especially the glass. Can you remember how thick it was and was there, apart from thickness, any obvious signs that the glass was armoured?

About 1.5 inches thick. The only signs of the glass being armoured was a dark 1 inch border around the glass.

Love seeing the restorations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom