4x4 drivers...arrrrrh [edit- some 4x4 owners]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Right, after todays drive to work I have to get this off my chest.

If anyone knows Barnet/Cockfosters/Cuffley area you’ll know that the stereotypical 4x4 owner (female, yummy mummy :devil: , rich etc etc) lives here.

This morning I was taking my normal route to work which at one point consists of a road that dips down before a fairly steep climb. At the bottom of the road was the normal puddle which always forms here after heavy rain. The puddle covers half of each side of the road and so traffic travels into the middle of the road to avoid it.

To give you an example of the depth it could easily be driven straight through at low speed by any average car.

In fact for those of you how live up Norf it’s the kind of puddle you probably have to step over every time you leave your house!!!

However, today I had to stop behind a stationary X5 that wouldn't drive through the puddle but had to wait to drive around it because two X5’s and a Ranger Rover Sport coming the other way were creeping down the middle of the road to avoid the puddle on their side. Finally as the X5 in front of me moved on and I drove happily straight through the water a brand new GL coming the other way nearly took off the road whilst swerving for the puddle of her side.

Last edited:
You see...justification for them to NEED 4x4...

Surely a 4x4 driver coming across a big puddle is akin the an AMG driver finding a long empty stretch of road.

Use it or lose it IMO...in a safe and responsible manner of course.

How very sad.. I drive a RR as well as the CLK and take EVERY opportunity to drive through a puddle..!! (unless of course I've just washed it..!!)

'twas in jest....;)

I did realise that hence I didn't quote you but having read many a thread alot of people often get the wrong end of the stick. :D

Misunderstandings alway make an amusing read though :devil:

Don't be upset,

I would drive round a puddle in my ML it might splash up and get my car muddy.

For Puddles we use this... (my brothers)

J33P.jpg

How very sad.. I drive a RR as well as the CLK and take EVERY opportunity to drive through a puddle..!!

I once drove into a flood at about 50mph in a Mini. It nearly killed it as water jetted EVERYWHERE inside.....Seats, roof lining, etc...:D :D

Don't be upset,

J33P.jpg

There wasn't enough water in the puddle to reach the sides of an ML!!

Surely during these winter months driving through a puddle to remove the salt and grime from the underside of your car and wheels is a good thing?

You see...justification for them to NEED 4x4...

ban all 4x4s that's what I say, except for GLs of course :D

I enjoy looking for puddles in the Disco, that's the only 'offroading ' I do!

ban all 4x4s that's what I say, except for GLs of course :D

I enjoy looking for puddles in the Disco,...........

Woo, Hoo, Hoo, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Don't be upset,

J33P.jpg

That's a serious radiator leak your brothers got there.;)

Cheers,

The places that thing went, up down and through was awesome no way would the ML do it (or at least you wouldn't want to) and as we found out changing his tyres to proper off road ones makes a HUGE difference.

All the 4x4's on the roads generally have road spec tyres and lets be honest 19" and 20" tyres will do nothing in the terain above.

For a fun day out its great on the off road days.

My ML is handy pulling the van off a wet field and I 'feel' safe driving it lugging my family and all their kit around. As for salt yes your right although I walk to work so the ML is tucked up in his car port.

Makes my Carbon footprint look better for driving a car that likes to drink :)

Good job you had that car to show you it was Ok Marcos..

We are not all pansies you know!

Thats because you're not female, on the school run and looking forward to meeting your friends at Costa Coffee after your nails/spray tan appointment.

I thought washing and puddles were the same thing;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom