500sec chrome moldings trim clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebody

Car
500SEC
Dammit, this car is beginning to annoy me now.

So I have what appears to be a early 126 500sec, I have no idea what the distinction between a early and a late one is, but all the parts diagrams Mercedes send me according to the car's frame number are wrong. The reason I assume mine is early is someone said the sunroof in early models has a 4-piece seal and in late models has a one-piece seal. Mine has the 4-piece but the diagram they sent shows a one-piece.

Anyways, so you know the plastic side moldings? They are held on with two types of clips.

The bottom type, which are plastic snap into holes in the car's body, and snap directly into the channel cast into the plastic molding. My car has two types, one type for the front and middle moldings (which are free to slide in the channel) and a separate type for the rear moldings only (which has 4 little ears, locating it longitudinally in slots in the channel). But, anyways, thats irrelevant because both types are commonly available from autobody supplies IF you know their MB part number. Without the part number nobody could help me, but when I found their part numbers, it turns out like every half-decent autobody supply store carries them. These are marked a 1 in the photo.

Then there is the top type. The top type is a metal clip which actually snaps into the chrome trim strips, and locates in square holes in the body, so in effect the plastic molding is sandwitched between the trim and the body. Their positions are marked as 2 in the photo, but only one remains.

clips.jpg

So, does anybody happen to know the MB part number for that 2nd type of clip, as marked 2 in the photo? They don't seem to appear on MB diagrams which are supposed to be correct for that frame number. Attached is the MB diagram which doesn't seem to show them:

image.jpg

By the way, if anybody is feeling extra helpful, where the hell do I get new seals for the 4-piece seal sunroof? Nobody seems to carry them either and MB only send me diagrams of the single-piece seal layout.

Thanks

Part #17 is listed as 'Clip' panelling to front fender and requires 6 off. (3 per side).

Think this may be it?:dk:

In the EPC using generic W126044 - Europe - pre 85 - #65 'Roof' - 56232 'electric sunroof' - Page 3 - Part Nos: 100 + 151(L&R) + 223.

Looks like a four part seal. Your call though.

Last edited:
Hey. Thanks very much! I can't get into EPC for some reason, its doing that thing when it won't work again. If yours works, could you please take a look and see what Benz part # clip 17, clip 26 in the side trim diagram and seal 151 in the sunroof diagram are?

Thanks!

Don't quite understand your request. :dk:Clip #17 in your pic above is what I think you need. and 151 (X2) is the left and right sections of the four roof seals.

If your puter has recently upgraded to the latest Java that is your problem. EPC wont work with issue 7.51

Go into Java control panel and downgrade security to Medium on the slider and the EPC will work again. Reverse setting changes when finished EPC.

edit..............

:doh: Do you mean part numbers? :doh:

151...A108 782 01 98
26...A005 988 97 78
17...A126 988 03 78

Usual caveat applies. check before buying.

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks very much Druk! Thats what I needed!

Thanks for the comment regarding current Java and the EPC. I was wondering why it wouldn't work.

I had a 500SEC a long time ago. It had the scalloped trim like yours - the later one had flat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom