500SEC...use indicators as side light..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S11YBM

Car
83 500SL, 84 500SEC AMG, 84 500SEC, 84 500SE AMG, 97 CL500, 04 CL500
A question...is it possible to have the indicators constantly on, like the US versions?

Obviously not for use while driving, but would be a nice to have feature...

Cheers
Shyam

The US ones will have a different bulb holder with a fitting (and wiring) for a No 380 bulb.
Yours will probably just have a connector for a No 382 bulb.
It could be done without changing the bulb holder/unit/wiring, but it might get a bit messy.

The US ones will have a different bulb holder with a fitting (and wiring) for a No 380 bulb.
Yours will probably just have a connector for a No 382 bulb.
It could be done without changing the bulb holder/unit/wiring, but it might get a bit messy.

Thanks, I thought the same too. Was thinking if I could hook up another switch that turns it them on. But as you say it can get messy!

You don't want them fully on all the time as they would be too bright (should be 5 watt) and the heat might melt the lens over time.
If you want them on with sidelights, it could be a fairly straightforward job to run a feed from the sidelights via a series resistor to the light and put a diode in series with the original supply.
That's how I would do it, but it could take a bit of fiddling to get it totally right (no change in flash frequency etc)

You don't want them fully on all the time as they would be too bright (should be 5 watt) and the heat might melt the lens over time.
If you want them on with sidelights, it could be a fairly straightforward job to run a feed from the sidelights via a series resistor to the light and put a diode in series with the original supply.
That's how I would do it, but it could take a bit of fiddling to get it totally right (no change in flash frequency etc)

true, I didn't think of that! I'll see if I can source a US bulb holder. Its more of a nice to have :)

Unless i get an led bulb!

Difficult to modulate the light output on a led bulb :)
Might be worth seeing if another bulb holder (side/tail) would fit. That might make it easier.

Difficult to modulate the light output on a led bulb :)
Might be worth seeing if another bulb holder (side/tail) would fit. That might make it easier.

Thanks again, another very good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom